Update to 27" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shawn Dover, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Shawn Dover macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the 27" Cinema Display is due for an upgrade anytime soon? Maybe with Thunderbolt ports? I hate to spend $1000 on a monitor if a replacement is around the corner.

2. johnnyquest8 macrumors newbie

yeah whats up

I'd like to know too..... With thunderbolt a touch screen cinema display would be possible..? Since that would be the future.

3. icboulder macrumors newbie

New Cinema 27"?

Would also like to know as I am in the market to replace my 24" Cinema Screen from 2003. I would hold off if it seems like an upgrade is on the way with the new Thunderbolt just released?

4. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I just purchased a 27" last week. Here are my thoughts...

If you look at all the branding on the Apple site, specifically the Thunderbolt sections, you'll see that Apple is using the 27" quite a bit. It's specifically mentioned in a number of sections as working with the new port. If they were planning an imminent refresh, I don't think they would have gone through the trouble.

Second, we all know how slow Apple is with refreshing displays. With their track record, it'll probably be another 18 years before they update.

Third, no matter what happens, the LED cinema display will always work. Placing it at the end of the daisy-chain wouldn't be the worst thing. It's not like the display will go obsolete any time soon.

I've got until next Friday to return it, so I'm going to wait until the event on March 2nd, in the off chance they'll update their store along with the new announcements and include the cinema display. Otherwise, I'd say jump in.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Well, there's 3 upgrades to think about one of which is probably further off than the other 2 - Thunderbolt, HD (or enabling) HD camera resolution and high density/retina resolution.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Thunderbolt is able to daisy chain up to 7 devices and the displays (max. of 2) must be at the end of the chain. The only thing Apple could add in terms of TB ports to the Cinema Display would be a daisy chain port for a second display. Of course, if you buy one now, and they add such a port in the future, you're still good to go because when you buy a second display, it'll just go in the chain before the original one.

I say don't worry about it.