Update to 5.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by americaroma, Dec 7, 2011.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

Im currently on 5.0.0 but experiencing some issues, for instance my volume buttons dont work as snooze anymore when my alarm clock goes on, instead it just lowers or highers the volume... This also happens when i recieve a call, sometimes i dont want to decline it and instead i would just press the volume buttons for it to stop the sound while i decided to anwser or not... but now it just works to lower or make the ringtone louder...

So i decided to maybe go to 5.0.1 but before i have some questions...

Currently i have my iphone 4 unlocked with BB 01.59.00

Do i need to download the regular 5.0.1 and then make a custom ispw to preserve BB?

If so, i will have to go click ''option'' on my mac and restore or update on itunes right?

Thank you all in advance...

2. brokin macrumors member

yes you can use resn0w to make a custom ipsw so you dont lose your baseband. just know jailbreak is currently tethered.

here is the guide for people with windows: http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/preserve-iphone-baseband-on-ios5-sn0wbreeze/

3. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks but im on mac... i downloaded an ispw with 5.0.1 and the latest redsn0w but it didnt let me creat a custom ispw, it gives me an error ''unrecognized build''...

Does anybody know why it gives me this error?

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Hmm I think that you need sn0wbreeze actually? I could be wrong but I'm not sure if redsn0w will build custom firmwares for iOS 5 yet.

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

I think you may be wrong... I acutally updated from 4.1 to IOS 5 creating an custom firmware in order to keep my baseband... So redsnow does create custom ispw but for some reason it dosent recognize the 5.0.1 one i downloaded so im downloading it again from another site assuming the other one was corrupted or something.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You do know that ultrasnow doesnt work with 5.0.1 right?
    So even if you save your 01.59.00 baseband you wont be able to use it as a phone on 5.0.1
    Just letting you know before you get there and then ask why your sim is not recognized.

7. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Aww man, no i didnt knew that... Thanks for letting me know...

So... is there anything i could do to maybe fix the volume button issues?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can only restore to firmware versions you have blobs for.
    Open up cydia and see what you have listed up there. You can downgrade to anything 4.3.5 and lower if you have blobs.
    I believe the latest iFaith will also let you restore to the 5.0 that you have installed now but havent used it yet.
    Check out these tutorials below on how to use ifaith to restore to your current 5.0 again.
    You will need to run windows, its not Mac compatible yet.
    http://jaxov.com/2011/12/save-ios-5...bs-using-ifaith-1-4-for-windows-how-to-guide/
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/1...tom-firmware-to-downgrade-ios-5-using-ifaith/

9. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks , i really apreciate it... will check iFaith rightnow

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

11. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Think im gonna go crazy, i was able to create a custom firmware file with ifaith, restored my phone with it, stayed on 5.0.0 with same baseband and all, was able to jailbrake and unlock with redsnow and ultrasnow... Synced iphone with itunes and STILL the button buttons dont ignore calls like they used to...

I know this may be a minor issue but it bothers me to know that something changed without me even knowing if i did something for it to change or if it just changed because of a bug or something...

I keep looking for info on google and seems nobody else has experienced this, now i only use the power button (one click) to snooze or ignore a call... and the volume buttons only display the volume level...

Any ideas why this may be happening?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a software backup issue.
    I bet if you setup as new and not restore from backup it won't happen again.
    Every time u restore from that backup you inherit the same software bugs.

13. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

That sounds logical, ive been thinking if it was maybe Callbar from cydia that changed that stuff... It was working fine till i tryed to update the app last week...

Again many thanks for your help Applejuiced...

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a shot bro.
    First thing remove callbar or other addons from cydia and see if that fixes it.
    Then maybe start clean and install your cydia stuff one by one to test out for what's causing this.

15. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

To verify, iFaith requires you actually be upgraded to a given version iOS 5, right? To grab the ticket and blobs?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    You have to be on the given firmware to create the custom shsh ipsw.

17. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

This is likely a dumb question, but since ifaith saves the ap ticket- couldn't one downgrade theirbaseband if they had ifaith blobs for that particular ios version?

For example, I'm on 4.3.2 use ifaith -> upgrade to 5.0.1 without preserving -> can I ever go back to 4.3.2 (ios and whatever the corresponding bb version is) to get gevey working again?

Been lurking for awhile here, this is a great forum!