Update to 5.1.1 through iTunes if not keeping jb?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sunsean, May 25, 2012.

1. Sunsean, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

Sunsean macrumors 6502

Okay, sorry if this is a dumb thread, but I just want to play it safe: I am on 5.1 tethered jb on ip4. If I want to upgrade to stock 5.1.1, can I just do a normal iOS upgrade through iTunes if I don't care about keeping the jb? What about my texts, contacts, photos, etc? Will they still be there if I just do a straight upgrade through iTunes to 5.1.1?

Again sorry of this is a dumb question, but it's my first iPhone and first time updating iOS version on a jb iPhone.

2. justinwebb macrumors regular

yes you can always just restore the iphone through Itunes to get rid of the jailbreak if needed. Just dont do the whole reset settings thing on the phone itself just restore

3. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! iTunes prompts me to update to newest ios version when I plug my phone in, so as I understand it I can just hit "ok" or whatever to update to 5.1.1 without any other steps, and I'll have a stock 5.1.1 with all my previous data (texts, pics, etc)? Again thanks for humoring me :)

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

You'll have all of your previous data if you back it up and restore it to the phone later!

5. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay but I have read that it's not good to restore to a jb backup. Since i am currently jb, does that mean I would have to remove the jb on current 5.1 BEFORE updating to 5.1.1, backup, then update to 5.1.1, and restore?

On a side note, I am reading tons of conflicting info about how to remove a jailbreak. If I used redsnOw to jb my iPhone 4 on 5.1, can you point me in the right direction on how to remove the jb, if that's in fact what I have to do in order to make a backup of my data?

Because if I understand your post, you're saying if I just update to 5.1.1 through iTunes all my data will be gone and it will be like a factory reset? And I didn't think you could restore to an old iOS version? If I make a backup on my current 5.1, then update to 5.1.1, then restore to my 5.1 backup, would that even work...?

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

No. Just restore. I use my iTunes backup each time, and I have yet to encounter issues. IMO, only set up as a new iPhone if you're having stability issues and need to restore.

Just restore via iTunes (if you don't need a custom baseband for an unlock)

Only if you set up as new iPhone after restoring in iTunes.

Theoretically. You need to be sure you have your SHSH blobs and APTicket saved if you want to have any hope of downgrading firmware. Why would you want to do that now, though? There is an untethered JB for 5.1.1...

7. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you SO much for your helpful post! I don't need it unlocked and I don't plan on downgrading to an older iOS version. So my plan of action is: make backup of current 5.1 jb iPhone through iTunes, update to 5.1.1 via iTunes, then restore my last 5.1 backup. If I got any of that wrong, please correct me. I won't be able to do it until Sunday anyway because I am on the road without a computer for the next couple days. Thanks again big time for breaking it down for me!

8. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Sounds like you got it! iTunes will ask if you want to restore from your backup (made w/ previously mentioned sync in iTunes), or set up as a new iPhone. Select the backup you want to restore from, and iTunes should take care of the rest.

If for some reason you get any errors when restoring, do a search on here for that error number. Sometimes you have to reset host files to Apple.

9. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for confirming the procedure! I will be doing this Sunday afternoon after I get back home, hopefully all will go well!