Update to ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by themac23, Apr 2, 2011.

1. themac23 macrumors regular

Who thinks there will be an update to the ACD with the new iMac's? I think they might get thunderbolt, and maybe the new HD isight camera.

What do you think? I have been holding off on buying one just because I have a feeling they may update soon too.

2. Grolsch30 macrumors member

Don't mean to hijack your thread themac23, but if I may also ask this question in regards to the update of :apple:ACD

If the ACD gets updated and gets a thunderbolt connection, will my Macbook Air without thunderbolt be able to connect to it without any issues?

I feel the answer is yes but just want to make sure because otherwise i will buy now and not wait.

Anybody seen any speculation anywhere in regards to a possible refresh?

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

The 27" ACD is Thunderbolt compatible via the MDP port, so the only interest Apple would have in an update is providing a hub functionality.

However, they've already said that the display acts as a terminator on the Thunderbolt chain, so a hub is pointless. Ergo, no update coming.

4. romuald macrumors newbie

Well, it currently acts as the last element in the chain precisely because it has no Thunderbolt port. If it had TB, it could be the first element in the daisy chain, the benefit would be:
    • easier cable management (it's quite hard to plug the magsafe cable of the ACD if the Disaplay Port cable is at the far end of the ThunderBolt chain
    • a TB drive (or any other TB device) could be plugged to the ACD, this latter being used as a dock for the MBP

5. romuald macrumors newbie

... and I don't think there is any technical limitation justifying the display should always be at the end of the TB chain, as long as it passes on the PCI-Express data to the rest of the TB chain.