Update to High Sierra for new iMac

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by ASAP2019, Jun 29, 2017.

1. ASAP2019 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Since the High Sierra Public Beta is out today and my new iMac is coming tomorrow, should I upgrade to Public Beta immediately or I should wait for the final version when it releases? I was thinking the new Apple File System might need me to reformat my HDD so update to High Sierra when I receive tomorrow will be a good idea. Hope to get advise. Thank you.

2. EugW macrumors 68000

EugW

Lots of things in High Sierra are still borked. Wait... for several months in fact.

I installed it... but on an extra external drive, just for kicks, only to confirm that High Sierra isn't ready for prime time.

3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

You do NOT want to install on a Fusion iMac. After I backed up today, I tried to install the new release over my Sierra install. After 30 min or so, I got an error that the update had failed. I clicked restart, but guess what it had totally messed up in drive and it failed to restart. I booted into a backup and tried to fix with Disk Utility. All DU would do is crash. I was able to repair the drive in the HS Recovery Drive from DP2.

4. ohsnap macrumors regular

Can you convert external drives from HFS+ to APFS yet?

5. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

Public Beta is fine to install, do NOT use APFS yet. I can't stress this enough - if you're using the Beta for a device you use as a daily driver or you have a Fusion Drive, you will not have a good time. You might, but it's unlikely.

6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yes

7. ohsnap macrumors regular

Ok, but you can't replace the file system without reformatting?

8. robert1998 macrumors regular

robert1998

You can use additional software for that, but I won't recommend doing this with a beta software, 'cause you may broke up the entire HDD/SSD

9. Sourstash macrumors newbie

There's no reason for you to install the beta unless you want to help out with the bugs and have a hard time installing. Wait until its officially out this fall especially on a new machine.