Update to High Sierra for new iMac

ASAP2019

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
Hi,

Since the High Sierra Public Beta is out today and my new iMac is coming tomorrow, should I upgrade to Public Beta immediately or I should wait for the final version when it releases? I was thinking the new Apple File System might need me to reformat my HDD so update to High Sierra when I receive tomorrow will be a good idea. Hope to get advise. Thank you.

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
Lots of things in High Sierra are still borked. Wait... for several months in fact.

I installed it... but on an extra external drive, just for kicks, only to confirm that High Sierra isn't ready for prime time.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You do NOT want to install on a Fusion iMac. After I backed up today, I tried to install the new release over my Sierra install. After 30 min or so, I got an error that the update had failed. I clicked restart, but guess what it had totally messed up in drive and it failed to restart. I booted into a backup and tried to fix with Disk Utility. All DU would do is crash. I was able to repair the drive in the HS Recovery Drive from DP2.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Public Beta is fine to install, do NOT use APFS yet. I can't stress this enough - if you're using the Beta for a device you use as a daily driver or you have a Fusion Drive, you will not have a good time. You might, but it's unlikely.

Reactions: breggie

robert1998

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
You can use additional software for that, but I won't recommend doing this with a beta software, 'cause you may broke up the entire HDD/SSD

Reactions: ohsnap

Sourstash

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2017
There's no reason for you to install the beta unless you want to help out with the bugs and have a hard time installing. Wait until its officially out this fall especially on a new machine.

Reactions: ohsnap