Update to High Sierra for new iMac

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by ASAP2019, Jun 29, 2017.

  1. ASAP2019 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2017
    #1
    Hi,

    Since the High Sierra Public Beta is out today and my new iMac is coming tomorrow, should I upgrade to Public Beta immediately or I should wait for the final version when it releases? I was thinking the new Apple File System might need me to reformat my HDD so update to High Sierra when I receive tomorrow will be a good idea. Hope to get advise. Thank you.
     
  2. EugW macrumors 68000

    EugW

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2017
    #3
    Lots of things in High Sierra are still borked. Wait... for several months in fact.

    I installed it... but on an extra external drive, just for kicks, only to confirm that High Sierra isn't ready for prime time.
     
  3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

    dianeoforegon

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    You do NOT want to install on a Fusion iMac. After I backed up today, I tried to install the new release over my Sierra install. After 30 min or so, I got an error that the update had failed. I clicked restart, but guess what it had totally messed up in drive and it failed to restart. I booted into a backup and tried to fix with Disk Utility. All DU would do is crash. I was able to repair the drive in the HS Recovery Drive from DP2.
     
  4. ohsnap macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    #5
    Can you convert external drives from HFS+ to APFS yet?
     
  5. ryxn macrumors regular

    ryxn

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2017
    #6
    Public Beta is fine to install, do NOT use APFS yet. I can't stress this enough - if you're using the Beta for a device you use as a daily driver or you have a Fusion Drive, you will not have a good time. You might, but it's unlikely.
     
  6. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

    gmanist1000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    #7
    Yes

     
  7. ohsnap macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    #8
    Ok, but you can't replace the file system without reformatting?
     
  8. robert1998 macrumors regular

    robert1998

    Joined:
    May 10, 2017
    #9
    You can use additional software for that, but I won't recommend doing this with a beta software, 'cause you may broke up the entire HDD/SSD
     
  9. Sourstash macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2017
    #10
    There's no reason for you to install the beta unless you want to help out with the bugs and have a hard time installing. Wait until its officially out this fall especially on a new machine.
     

Share This Page