iPad Update to iOS 7.1 with jailbreak?

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I have a jailbreak on my iPad and I would like to update to 7.1 I don't care about keeping the jailbreak, but when I click the software update tab in Settings, it just says checking for updates, and doesn't show the update. Do I have to un jailbreak it or something?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I have a jailbreak on my iPad and I would like to update to 7.1 I don't care about keeping the jailbreak, but when I click the software update tab in Settings, it just says checking for updates, and doesn't show the update. Do I have to un jailbreak it or something?
if you're jailbroken already and want to update/unjailbreak, you must use itunes to do it

plug in your iphone and click "restore"! Don't click the "update"

Once you click restore, it should download the ipsw. But before you click that restore, make sure to make a backup and sync to your itunes library

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
you can't do over the air updates while jailbreaked

kerbero9

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
You probably have Software Update Killer installed. Remove it in Cydia and try again.

I personally would wipe it and install fresh but that's just me.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
That's what i needed, thanks! Do you know of a link to a 7.1 iTunes download? I won't be around free wifi for a while and I don't have a lightning cable.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
You probably have Software Update Killer installed. Remove it in Cydia and try again.

I personally would wipe it and install fresh but that's just me.
iOS 6.x jailbreaks and above block the OTA daemon so Software Update Killer is no longer needed

blocking the OTA daemon makes it so you can't even make a connection to apple's OTA servers to see if there's an update or not. Software Update Killer just makes it so you can't tap that download and install button