Update to IOS 7 - what's a JAILBREAK?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Miqs, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

I have just tried to update my iPod touch to iOS 7 and all seemed ok as it says I am up to date, but when I checked further I am still on iOS 6.1.3. When I research I find that there is a possibility of a "jailbreak" so not to push for iOS 7! What does this all mean? I'm lost! :mad:

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Is your phone jailbroken? Unless you bought the phone from someone else, you would know if it is or isn't. Do you have Cydia app on your phone? You may need to restore and unjailbreak before you can update to 7.

3. Bear macrumors G3

What generation iPod touch do you have? If it's a 4th generation you can't upgrade to iOS 7. The only iPod touch that can run iOS 7 are the 5th generation ones.

4. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Yes, Apple is strong-arming you into buying a new iPod touch (5th gen) if you want iOS 7.

In the past, when the jailbreak is released, the iOS is often modified slightly so that older unsupported devices can be UNofficially running the latest iOS. You can wait for the jailbreak and see if this happens for the iPod touch 4th gen, or you can live with iOS 6, or you can upgrade your iPod.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well if you don't know what a jailbreak is, then it looks like you don't have one, and therefore have nothing to worry about :) If your iPod is a 4th gen or older, you also can't upgrade to iOS7 because your device isn't supported.