Update to iOS 8 Beta

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by fezzzer, Jun 2, 2014.

1. fezzzer macrumors member

I know I'm a few hours premature with this question however I've forgotten the best way to update from ios 7 to ios 8 beta - once the .dmg file is downloaded is it best to 'restore' the phone with the new software then reload my backup onto the phone, or is it best to 'update' the phone with the new software?

Many thanks

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

You need to be a developer, or pay a developer to register your UDID, I would just wait it'll only be a couple of months away. Unless your a developer that it then go for it! But yes what you listed is correct, just hold shift browse for the ipsw and load it on. I would update it to iOS 8.

3. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

If you only have one device, I wouldn't.

Well, it's your choice of course, it's just, being the first beta and all... it will be full of bugs.

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Definitely wouldn't do this on my primary device, especially with the 1st beta. But if you're determined what you've said is correct

5. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Got every iOS 7 beta last year on my primary device with no big consequences

6. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

Yeah same here! It was actually enjoyable going through each beta watching it develope.

7. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

If you are not registered as Dev, your best bet tp try and use the Beta is going to 'Update' way ... seeing the last few iOS 7 Betas ... your success probability is 0.001% :)

8. fezzzer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, i'm registered and paid up as a dev.

I put iOS 7 beta on my primary device last year, and the year before with no big consequences. I did create a backup last year of my phone on iOS6 before updating to the beta, so I could roll back if there were any significant problems.

9. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Besides the horrible battery drain that affected all of us (on second build?). Either way, I think ios 8 will be much smoother. 7 was such a major revision.

10. fezzzer thread starter macrumors member

I'm well prepared for battery drain - I have chargers in my office, at home and in my car. Having had battery drain issues even on GM versions of iO6 (6 springs to mind) I learned the hard way.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm going to DFU restore to iOS 8 Beta 1 and restore as NEW for every beta following beta 1. Lots of reinstalling is going to happen for me in the next few months :)

12. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

What's the rush? Unless you are a developer that is. I won't be installing anything before reading about the problems people have with it.

13. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

Nope! Count me out of that turgid generalisation. No battery drain for me.

14. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I had a feeling that would happen. iPhone 4 is no longer supported.

15. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

iOS 8 Beta 1 is officially available along with a new Find My iPhone app.

16. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Can anyone with iOS 8 confirm the 22 new languages for Siri? Or, if someone has it, the list.

17. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Turgid? There was one release that murdered a double digit percent of phones' batteries. Just because you were fine doesn't mean it's a guarantee.

18. outphase macrumors 65816

I also think it was v7.0b2. I believe it had to do with backgrounding not working properly so some system apps were on full power all the time.

19. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

not sure why people say not to load it on your primary device. Sure, I wouldn't put it on my 5s and throw my computer away, but it's not like using it for a day or two would make the phone explode. I used every beta last year on my 5, and despite some instability and battery life woes it was fine.

20. R4z3r, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014

R4z3r macrumors member

Biggest issue was the instability / battery issues in beta 1 and 2. After that, for the most part, things worked as they were supposed to.