iPhone Update to ios6 when "could not establish a secure connection to device" (Jailbroken)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by icebergx, Nov 19, 2012.

1. icebergx macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've been trying to update my Jailbroken iPhone 4 to ios6 but, unfortunately, I keep getting the "could not establish a secure connection to the device" when connecting it to iTunes. I've tried updating "over the air" but this flags up an error too. Finally, I can't restore to a previous backup because, the backups I previously had, were stored on my old (broken) computer.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rakesh.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

3. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Problem is that I can't restore it as the phone is paired with an old (broken) mac, that I'm unable to access. Any other suggestions?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can restore the phone with any computer that has iTunes installed and a connection to the Internet.

5. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

Wow... Really? That's great!
    I don't mind losing my jailbreak.
    Will I lose any of the data already on my phone or will it be "wound back to the regular 5.1.1 minus the jailbreak??

Thanks for your help :)

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

restore will loose your data.. if you have back up of your phone (despite if it was backed up when jailbroken) it will restore your data..

7. icebergx thread starter macrumors regular

I am able to backup my phone to iCloud. Is there anything that won't be backed up up if I do this?

I'm thinking that, if I back it up to iCloud, then do a factory reset, then restore from my iCloud backup, everything should be back to "normal"?

Just looking at my iCloud backup options, there doesn't seen to be the option to backup my SMS/MMS. Is this possible?

Thanks again for all your help.