Update to iOS7 on Supervised devices

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by manamaga, Sep 17, 2013.

1. manamaga macrumors newbie

All the students at my Academy have iPad Mini's. We have supervised the devices (not yet enrolled in MDM). Upon the release of iOS 7 tomorrow, will our students be able to update their devices whilst they are supervised, or is it something they they will have to return their iPads to us (IT Techies) for?

Many thanks.

2. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Well, normally I would advise you to speak with your Academy's IT Department, but as you claim to be a member of said group, perhaps you ought to speak with your Supervisor.

Good Luck!

3. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I have the same question for my labs and different groups of iPads. I am the Director here and I don't have the answer for it.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You guys should, most likely, have an Apple support contact.

5. terrywfoster macrumors regular

Correct. He stated he does not know. He also stated he does not know how Apple Configurator will handle iOS 7. He has not been provided such information yet.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I imagine devices in supervised mode will not automatically download the updates since it is pushed from your local servers to the devices.

7. harrisoa macrumors newbie

Have you tried looking into 'Layered Ownership'?. It's what I'm setting up on our faculty iPads tomorrow. Layered ownership allows the students to do whatever they want with their iPad's, however, layered ownership does not allow core apps that the School/university has purchased via the VPP to be deleted by the student.

So to answer you question, students may be able to update top iOS 7 themselves but it will depend on what payload settings your tech team enabled when setting up the Supervised profile in apple configurator.

8. terrywfoster macrumors regular

We use Layered Ownership across the board. They are able to update apps on their side but not my side. I am assuming the iOS would be on my side since it's updated via the Configurator each time I plug up and update a cart.

9. manamaga thread starter macrumors newbie

I am Assistant Network Manager, we have been a Mac Academy for only a few months and have yet to attend Mac training courses. I have Googled the question to no avail, hence my post here. I'm sorry that I'm not a Mac guru but thanks for your comment anyway.

iPads in education is still relatively new here in the UK, and so is support. Obviously our support does not have the answer either unfortunately.

----------

Supervised mode only ties the device to the Mac upon which it is supervised, so that the device cannot be connected and synced to another Mac, there is no 'pushing' in supervised mode, this is done via our MDM. Our devices are not enrolled in MDM as yet, but to the best of my knowledge, MDM cannot push out iOS updates anyway, I think it has to be and end user decision so to speak.

10. manamaga thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this may answer my question. A previous suggestion that it depends on our payload settings, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no payload setting to allow / disallow the user to update iOS.