update to new on friends computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by duckman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. duckman macrumors newbie

I am going to be away from my computer for the next few weeks and won't have accsess to my laptop will I be able to log onto my iTunes accout on my friends computer and update to the new software without erasing all of my music and information.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

I think this method would work:
    • Log out of your friends iTunes account, log into your iTunes account (on your friends computer, on July 11th, with iTunes 7.7)
    • Download the 2.0 Software to your iPod
    • When you get back to your home computer (your laptop) right click on your iPod in the Devices tab, and click Check for Purchases, this should put the 2.0 update on your computer.
    I think this would only work if you had the same OS though.
    ie Mac and a Mac, Windows and a Windows.

3. duckman thread starter macrumors newbie

a he has a mac also but my only fear is that it may deleat all of my music and stuff and I won't be able to put it back on until I get home dose anyone know if thats the Case

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Connect your iPod to iTunes right now, and on the summary page make sure there is a check next to "Manually Manage Music and Videos". Now it shouldn't delete your music when you connect it to your friends computer.

It should be alright, unlike other iPods, the touch can be recognised by both operating systems no matter which one it was originally 'native' to (yes, that means unlike the classic, nano and shuffle you can update it on a Mac and then sync it with Windows).

5. duckman thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that so when I plug i in it wont erase my music but when I update to version 2 will it clear the iPod or leave everything and just update the os

6. opivy1218 macrumors member

As long as you keep it set as Manually Manage, you can just update and all you music and movies will still be on your ipod.

7. duckman thread starter macrumors newbie

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Or...

Or you could not worry about it until you get home. World won't end if you don't have 2.0 right away

9. duckman thread starter macrumors newbie

hat may be true I was just looking for options