Update to OS 3? Can't decide

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AC-40, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AC-40 macrumors newbie

AC-40

I'm new to the Apple Watch and the forum. I picked up a 42mm Gen 0. I'm tempted to upgrade to Watch OS 3, but I don't want the battery life to drop any worse than it is. What do you guys think?

2. mark824 macrumors member

It is much faster than 2.0. I had a the original watch and upgraded and makes a huge difference and battery was not affected.

3. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Watch is faster with OS 3. A lot of people considered it somewhat slow with the first 2 OS versions

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I second this. I have an original watch, and OS 3 sped it up quite a bit while having no noticeable effect on battery life.

5. AC-40 thread starter macrumors newbie

AC-40

Thank you for the quick responses. I'll likely perform the upgrade tonight.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It does take some time, so don't plan on it being a 10 minute thing right before bed. I think mine took about an hour from start to finish.

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I'd update to 3 just for the structural changes with the dock, control center, quick change faces, etc.

I jumped into Watch ownership with v3 and only have limited experience with 1 and 2, but the older setup dedicating the button to the friend picker thing never made sense to me.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It may be faster with Watch OS3, but if you search the forum, it's been reported faster battery drainage has been an issue for many Watch OS3 users. Likely that Watch OS3 keeps applications running in the background, which contributes to the speed when opening them at a faster rate.

9. testcard, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Absolutely no battery issues with my Series 0 and Watch OS3. Battery life is as good as, if not better than, OS2.

10. dave2010 macrumors regular

My problem with OS3 is the now playing screen (or glance) is now several clicks away from the home screen.
    OS2 you just swipe up to pause/change volume no matter what podcast/music app your'e using. This is the most common thing I've done on the Apple watch.
    OS3 you now need to dock "now playing"; and a lot of the time you need to swipe through your most recently used dock items to finally get to Now playing.

Then on iOS10, the now playing controls are an extra swipe right from the control centre.

It seems to me that Apple is pushing music/podcast controls further away.
    I note that on Android, the music controls are easily accessible by sliding down from the top still

11. Nell macrumors regular

There I things I don't like about OS3 (I much preferred the Weather app before and haven't found anything else that shows hour by hour temperature, conditions and chance of rain as clearly and I preferred the way the Activity app used to display data) but it's mainly a case of my fingers getting used to the differences. It's much faster though and I've seen no significant difference in terms of battery life.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the Series 0 watch and so far watchOS 3 seems solid. I don't notice any speed improvements, but I'm not really looking at it. For my usage pattern, its seems decent.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you are having trouble getting through the day without recharging?