Update to USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Mac... nificent, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I have an older (2010) Mac mini. Was wondering if there is any way, through an adapter, to plug something into the Thunderbolt port and use it as a USB 3.0 port? Would a Thunderbolt dock work?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There are thunderbolt docks ($200+), or possibly a thunderbolt-to-USB3 adapter dongle, like the Kanex (about $75).

I'd suggest the latter.
    You probably don't want to be spending too much on a now six-year-old Mini in any case.

The money might be better put towards a new Mini, assuming one comes out late this year...

3. Mac... nificent, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016

Mac... nificent thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Fishrrman. I agree, the dock is around half the price of a new mini so not the best value. I'm hoping for updated minis to come out this year.

I went to the Kanex website, but did not see a thunderbolt to USB 3.0 dongle.

UPDATE:
    Found one, kind of pricey for just one port but my only option so might have to get it.

4. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Er, just to be certain here, the 2011 Mini was the first with a Thunderbolt port. The 2010 Mini has a standard Mini DisplayPort instead...

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I really think there may be a Mini next month. After all, Skylake is now available, it has never been two years between models except last time, and last time the event teaser was "it's been far too long."

6. chrfr macrumors 603

To confirm the other posts, you have no Thunderbolt on a 2010 mini. If you need faster connections than Firewire 800 or USB 2.0, you'll need a new computer.

7. MacVidCards Suspended

FWIW, I was able to put USB 3 on a 2006 Mini by using the PCIE slot for Airport. Not pretty or desirable but it worked.

So far the only early Mini to run El Cap as the USB isn't supported otherwise.

8. Mac... nificent thread starter macrumors 6502

So you did this internally I take it? What hardware did you buy to do this?

9. MacVidCards Suspended

Mini PCIE extender to outside the case then Mini PCIE to PCIE adapter to a USB 3 card from Inatek

10. Mac... nificent thread starter macrumors 6502

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Certain USB 3.0 chipsets are supported in certain versions of OS X, via drivers that are included natively. There is a list here of recommended cards. All the details are in the first post.