Update to Windows 10 in both BootCamp & Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by packcubsmu, Jul 22, 2015.

1. packcubsmu macrumors newbie

So I have Windows 8.1 running on my Macbook Pro through bootcamp, but I then ran parallels off of that bootcamp. But my question is, if I just update to Windows 10 in my boot camp, with the parallels still work? Or should I just delete my VM and make a new one after.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

As long as Parallels is up to date, it shouldn't make a difference. 10 and 8.1 are so similar anyway under the hood, that I wouldn't expect many problems.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Upgrading the Boot Camp partition may require minor adjustments to the settings within Parallels but it should work just fine!

4. St-knaus macrumors newbie

St-knaus

I had the same question, and found this: if you imported your VM from BootCamp, you VM works separately, it means that all of your changes on the BootCamp side will not appears on the VM side.
    But if you create BootCamp based VM and didn't import it all of your BootCamp changes will appear on the VM side, for example if you install new app or Windows OS update on the BootCamp side the same app and update will appear on the VM side

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Parallels works entirely off the Boot Camp partition and uses that as the volume. Changes made in Boot Camp or Parallels are reflected in each other.

6. St-knaus macrumors newbie

St-knaus

I agree with you, but I got another way and now my Boot Camp and VM work separately.
    Used this:
    1. set Parallels Desktop to use Boot Camp
    2. open Control Center
    3. right click the Boot Camp version of Windows and click Import Boot Camp.
    4. Locate where you want to store Windows and your data, and then click Choose.
    After that Windows and all data are imported from Boot Camp.
    But you can still use the original Boot Camp Windows installation, separately from Parallels Desktop.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ah, I see... That is a neat feature in Parallels. Personally, I use it with the Boot Camp partition as the volume.

8. St-knaus macrumors newbie

St-knaus

Ok, I see.. and add this steps JFYI

9. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I had 8.1 installed on bootcamp partition and was able to use it in OSX but I did a clean install of Windows 10 on bootcamp but now I can't get Parallels to see it when booted into OSX. I tried following this tutorial:

http://bit.ly/1mwrjMs

But the install hung on this:

[​IMG]

I'm currently waiting on a reply from Parallels CS to get this situation corrected.

10. St-knaus macrumors newbie

St-knaus

11. lord69 macrumors newbie

Hey man

I've got the exact same problem. Parallels doesn't recognize the bootcamp partition anymore. please let me know if u
    found a solution!
    Thanks

12. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

No, their CS guys couldn't figure it out, I'm still waiting on an update.

13. lord69 macrumors newbie

Ane news?

14. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

Nothing yet.