[Update] Uga VI passes away... Uga VII introduced

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not that any of you will really be interested, :rolleyes: but UGA VI the University of Georgia's bulldog mascot passed away last night. :(

UGA is the inspiration for my avatar, username and pawprint.

Woof, Woof my friend... and may you rest in peace!

ESPN story
    "Uga VI became UGA's mascot in 1999. He was the son of Uga V, the only college mascot to land on the cover of Sports Illustrated."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm a huge English Bulldog fan - though I don't have one right now - and this cute guy was like the king of bulldogs. Thanks for passing the news along. :(

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's so sad! Sounds like he lived a better life than most humans though. He had a great record too. RIP:(

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

man, i do love watching UGA football. i'm sad to this, his record was very good

5. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

His "dad" was UGA V, the only mascot to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated
    He was anointed the "Number 1 Mascot"

UGA IV was the first mascot ever invited to the Heisman Trophy ceremony (Herschel Walker)

Here's hoping that UGA VII will start his career with a National Championship season!

[​IMG]

A look at each Uga mascot

Since 1956, the University of Georgia's live mascot has come from a line of solid-white English bulldogs named Uga, each owned by Sonny and Cecelia Seiler of Savannah. Here is a closer look at each Uga (with tenure and records):

Uga I (1956-66, 53-48-6)

The dog who started it all, this Uga was a belated wedding gift to the Seilers from one of Cecelia's friends. He was there when Theron Sapp "broke the drought" against Georgia Tech and was around for three coaches (Wally Butts, Johnny Griffith and Vince Dooley) and one SEC title (1959). He retired Oct. 22, 1966 and died 18 days later.

Uga II (1966-72, 42-16-3)

He was the first Uga to occupy the "fireplug" abode on the Georgia sidelines. By finishing the 1966 season for his father, he was around for Dooley's first SEC championship (and two years later for Dooley's second). After the 1966 season, he participated in the Cotton Bowl parade in Dallas.

Uga III (1972-81, 71-32-2)

His tenure included the 1980 national championship season and the introduction of Herschel Walker into Bulldogs lore. Georgia won two SEC titles (1976, 1980) during his reign, and Uga III retired in a ceremony before the 1981 season opener as the winningest Uga.

Uga IV (1981-90, 77-27-4)

His résumé included SEC titles in 1981 and '82 and a visit to the Downtown Athletic Club in New York (wearing a formal collar and black tie) to witness Walker receive the Heisman Trophy, the first mascot invited to the Heisman banquet. Also, he was there for Dooley's last game and Ray Goff's first.

Uga V (1990-99, 65-39-1)

During his tenure, Georgia's "Uga" mascot became a national phenomenon. During a game in 1996, he leaped at Auburn receiver Robert Baker on the sideline, seemingly trying to bite the player after he had startled the dog. The next year, Uga V appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, was "interviewed" by National Public Radio and appeared in the film "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," which featured Kevin Spacey and John Cusack.

Uga VI (1999-2008, 87-27)

With the success of Mark Richt, this Uga's 87 victories easily surpassed Uga IV in the record book. He was around for three appearances in the SEC championship game, including victories in 2002 and 2005, and for Georgia's No. 2 finish in the AP poll in 2007. He was present for the transition from Jim Donnan to Richt in 2000.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Uga's passing is a sad day for us here. With daughter #1 a UGA grad; daughter #2 a UGA junior and son #1 a UGA freshman this year we are BIG Bulldawg fans. The good news is that the Seiler's have a replacement ready to go and you know he'll be great! Just wonder what his registered name will be? Funny but my neighbor has a bulldog. He's tan and white and probably bout a year old. "Boomer", what a hunk. Never met such a friendly and happy dog. Cheers

BTW....GO DAWGS!

7. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

wow, that really stinks. We are big UGA fans as well and English bulldog fans also. I hope the successor is just as awesome.

I remember he was getting grumpy in some of the later games last season :(

8. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uga VI and his ancestors are all entombed at the south end of Sanford Stadium "between the hedges"

"Like his five predecessors, Uga VI will be interred in specially-built marble vault built into the side of the south grandstands just inside the main gate of the southwest side of the stadium. According to UGA, it is the only school that buries its mascots within the confines of the stadium."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Strangely enough MacDawg, I only became aware of Mr VI through a short mascot-related discussion with you on another thread only a week or two ago. Blimey. :(

10. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

The introduction of Uga VII today!

The introduction of Uga VII will be a huge highlight during the opening game for the Georgia Bulldogs today in Athens! Expect the stadium to go nuts as he takes the field!

[​IMG]

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^ What's his royalty $$'s for wearing the swoosh??;)

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ace. It's a thumbs up for your newly appointed mascot from ours.

Roary HullCityAFCNov07.JPG

The question is though, MacDawg, will you be updating your avatar to feature the new pup? ;)

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

He already did. You didn't notice?:eek:

14. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uga VII is off to a good start: 1 - 0
    Georgia defeats Georgia Southern 45 - 21

They had the ceremony before the game

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Damn Good Dawg!