Update Vs. Restore - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invisible777, Sep 30, 2008.

1. invisible777 macrumors member

I have been updating my iPhone 3G since launch day as new updates were released -- and haven't restored it once. I still have some issues... nothing too unique... crashing apps, crashing Safari, sluggish keyboard typing, sluggish Contact screen loading... could restoring help alleviate any of this?

thanks!

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

try reset, hold down home and power button for 10 secs until the apple logo appear

3. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

i don't need to reset. please re-read my post.

i am wondering if it would be beneficial to restore, as i have not done so yet.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

When you upgrade the firmware, you're basically doing a restore anyway.

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you restore from a backup, you are possibly re-introducing glitchy settings/files, etc.

I never restore from a backup. I always set up as a new phone.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

8. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

reset it, if you have app that don't close properly, memory leakage, etc... you have sluggish problem, app crash. reset will resolve all that. if you do a restore you just put the same stuff back on your phone, after restore is done the phone reset. it's the same as just do a reset.

9. Eleonardo macrumors newbie

Short answer....no. No form of restoring will fix this, assuming your problem is nothing outside of the norm that most everyone else is learning to just deal with or don't really care to mention.

When you say it is nothing too unique, I expect that this is just the norm.

When you say contact screen loading, how long is it taking? Over 2-3 seconds is probably excessive. Around 1-2 is the norm even for a small list of contacts (assuming the amount of contacts has any affect).

Crashing safari? check, normal.

Crashing Apps? If they are freshly installed, reboot. If they still crash after that...probably a developer issue.

Sluggish Keyboard typing? While the last update seemed to have improved this a little, still pretty normal.