[UPDATE]Which external hard drive for mac and windows?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pukifloyd, Aug 7, 2010.

1. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Hello everyone
    I need an external hard drive that can be used to back up both windows and mac. I searched and read a lot of threads on MR but couldn't find what I want as I need it urgently and don't have time to search more :eek:

I need a minimum 1TB external hdd with usb 2 (no firewire on windows laptop :( ) and firewire.
    I heard that mac formatted hdd's cant work with windows (read and write both) so what should i do? Can I connect it to my modem+router for wireless backups(it doesnt have a usb port)? I would prefer wired backups but dont know if that's possible.

And which brand is the best/most reliable/has best customer support? WD, Seagate, LaCie, or some other? Warranty is also important!

Also, can I buy it from newegg? anyone has experience with them? I liked their prices...but have never used them before...

Sorry for asking so many questions:eek:

EDIT: forgot to mention my budget...it should be around $120-$130...maximum $150 :)

2. hajime macrumors 68030

I got the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2T. So far so good. Please check their website for detailed specs.

3. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hi :)

purchase ANY hard drive that you want, and format it as FAT32 - this format is compatible between both Mac and PCs. the only bad point about FAT32 is that you cannot store files larger then 4GB on it, if you have a movie that is larger then 4GB, it wont go onto the drive.

a solution is to format your ext drive as NTFS (windows format) then install NTFS-3G, which allows your mac to read/write windows partitions.

if you want to perform Time Machine backups - the drive HAS to be HFS+ (the mac standard) - it is possible with NTFS drives but i believe that requires some mofidications.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Is NTFS-3G a freeware program?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sure is!

NTFS-3g

MacFuse - a little bit more glorified, but serves the same purpose.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Thanks for the links!

What do you find to me more stable of the two?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no problems

i have both MacFuse on my MBP (installed for about 2 years) and MacFuse installed on my 2009 i7 iMac.

basically they are identical programs, from what i understand! just have different names.

for some reason, MacFuse is unable to correctly work with WinClone (a Mac tool for cloning FAT32/NTFS drives) - on my MBP the same drive will work fine..

i would suggest MacFuse as it comes with a simple installer.

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

BS. WD 2TB USB 2.0 drive and it costs less than your stock hard drive.
    Also, FW400 isn't faster than USB 2.0 anyways. And NewEgg has exactly one FW800 enclosure, for 2.5".

I like the idea of the Seagate GoFlex, too. It has an exchangable stand, where the included stand is USB 2.0, but you can buy a USB2.0/FW800-stand for $40. When USB3.0 comes out, there is even an USB 3.0 kit with PCIe-card for PCs (Without the card, the stand is also $40).

10. pcb355 macrumors newbie

FW400 is faster than USB 2.0, in real world testing on Mac systems. USB maxes out at about 35MB/s, and FireWire at about 45MB/s.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sometimes that gap is even wider, depending on a whole bunch of things! USB just feels so jerky and inconsistent - i always opt for firewire.

12. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Thanks everyone...I'll go to best buy today or order it online...thanks a lot again! :)

13. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Hello again :rolleyes:

I got the external hard drive (western digital 1 TB) but I now need some more help. I was thinking about connecting my drive and my printer to my router, but it doesn't have any USB ports. Its an Actiontec Router that I got last year. Is there anything to convert an ethernet port to a USB port? If there is, can i connect a USB hub to that port and connect my printer and hard drive?

14. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Im not sure there is anything for the hard drive, but for the printer you can buy a print server. they are a bit expensive though

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that might be a tough one to achieve. there are these:
    [​IMG]
    but i doubt that they would successfully work. worth a try, they would only cost a few $$.