Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

africano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Help, I live in a country where the Internet is rubbish! I have very slow internet at home.

I want to update my macbook pro but I cant take it to work and use the internet there as it is capped.

Can I use my work internet to download updates etc for my macbook pro and then transfer them with a usb?

I would like to install the new OS. Can someone help me and point me to the file I need to download?

Thanks!

SquirrelGirl

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
You should be able to download the free Mavericks update from the App Store onto a USB flash drive, it should be easy as pie. You will also have a copy of the OS on the drive for future needs too then :)

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Help, I live in a country where the Internet is rubbish! I have very slow internet at home.

I want to update my macbook pro but I cant take it to work and use the internet there as it is capped.

Can I use my work internet to download updates etc for my macbook pro and then transfer them with a usb?

I would like to install the new OS. Can someone help me and point me to the file I need to download?

Thanks!

So you can or cannot use your work internet to download Mavericks?

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
I think you are saying you can't use your MacBook at work because it is blocked, right?? But can use your work computer to download, is that right??

What is your work computer?? If it is a Mac you should be able to download and transfer a DMG/ISO to a flash drive. Then install on your private computer. If it's not. You could try using torrents to get the file and then transferring to USB as well. Don't know how your work would feel about torrents tho.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Where did u get the Mac from? Perhaps they may have/can download it? Alternatively try emailing Apple and explaining the situation, can't hurt and minimal effort required on your part.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you take your MBP into work and use that to download the updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.