UPDATE! Yosemite server - Stops at boot-up screen, can't get to Apple Diags.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by PinkyMacGodess, Jul 18, 2015.

1. PinkyMacGodess, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

So, here is the update: I dug the Mini out, and hooked KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) to it, and I get the 'bong', and the white screen. Then I get the normal boot-up display, except for the snake, which stops shy of the middle of the way across. It blacks out once for a second, but returns to the same icon with non-moving snake screen.

I have something holding the 'D' key down now to try to get into Apple Diagnostics, but the snake remains stuck at the same spot, not progressing (over a half hour now).

Before I disconnected it, I hooked up a monitor to it, and the screen was black, except for the beach ball, which did move when I moved the mouse, but I couldn't get to the desktop.

I get no other messages or other indication that there is a problem, although I'm assuming that the drive(s) are probably dead, or Yosemite is out climbing other things at the moment.

I'm sad. That was a damn good little box...

Now I'm trying to find a way to make a bootable DVD, or something to see if I can get into the darn thing now...

Kinda crushed as I don't have to cash to replace it, and/or the drives at the moment...

2. PinkyMacGodess, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015

PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Not having anyone reply kept me working on the issue most of yesterday afternoon.

I found out that it was basically bound up trying to finish the Yosemite Server update. Once I got it through that process. I discovered that the memory is lacking for running Server. (It runs it, but...) It's a mid-2010 with 4g. Max apparently is 8g. Finding the memory proved to be fruitless. It requires the 1067 DDR3 SODIMM, and everyone has moved on to the faster memory. Not at all unexpected...

Apple Diagnostics wouldn't load because it's too old of a system. My how time flies...

So now I have a choice to make. Dump Server, or get another music repository 'server'. I seriously doubt that the cost of the memory to upgrade is going to be offset by a radically faster gerbil on the wheel inside that box. I thought it was newer than it is. Out of sight, out of mind indeed...

*SIGH*