Update?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mystera, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mystera macrumors member

I've got a 2011 13-inch i5 MacBook Pro with iLife preinstalled. There was some new update to all of iLife, but I can't get them off Software Update. I downloaded the update packages and tried doing it that way, but it told me iMovie 9.0 or later is required to install this update. The thing is, I do have iMovie 9.0.2, so why can't I update? Is it because I am not in USA and I bought this laptop from Taiwan?:confused:

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

The imovie update will come via the app store, not software update. There is an iDVD and iWeb update available via software update.

3. mystera thread starter macrumors member

But I can't even find those on the Software Update page either.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What do you mean "page"? The Software Update referred to here is NOT a web page - it's an application on your Mac.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Download them from here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macosandsoftware.

Edit: I'm not sure why they're not showing, but you could try deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and /User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist seeing if that makes any improvements. This will likely also reset any hidden updates as well, so if you use that feature perhaps don't try it.

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Check that you haven't moved or renamed the iLife applications from their default locations. For instance, iMovie should be in /Applications/ an not in a sub-folder.

If I'm reading the distribution correctly, that particular error message should only show up if:

1. iMovie is earlier than v9.0.0
    2. The iMovie 9.0.4 Update can't locate the application.

If the iMovie 9.0.4 Update MUST be installed from the AppStore, then a different error message is used:

"The version of iMovie installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available."

However, if the iMovie Application has been moved, the installer can't see the AppStore receipt (it's inside the application) so your installed version may in fact need to be updated via the AppStore, but if it's been moved.... get the idea?

7. mystera thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, by that I meant the app. Sorry for any confusion.

I tried downloading the updates from Apple.com, but I couldn't install it, even though I should be able to.

EDIT: RESOLVED. It's probably because I moved it from the Apps folder to another iLife folder I made. I moved them out and it works now.

Please help me here If you can too. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1186969