Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samo1215, Jan 6, 2014.

  1. samo1215 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #1
    I'm aware that this gets asked ALOT and I know nobody can predict with any certainty when and how Apple will update its line of Macbook Pro's but since I am about to make my purchase (and a substantial almost $3k one at that) I just wanted get a consensus of whether people thought we would be seeing a February refresh or not?

    If so, what kind of upgrades do you anticipate would be baked into the new machines?

    I know Apple has a 14 day return policy, are there any exceptions if they release a new update shortly outside that window?
     
  2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #2
    Hi,

    Mid-cycle releases usually only introduce new processors. But that depends on whether Intel releases new Crystalwell CPUs. I personally don't think that there will be a Feb update this year.

    Regards
    Raptor
     
  3. samo1215 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #3
    Thanks Raptor for the response!

    I have two last questions then before I make my purchase.

    1) I noticed B&H offers Applecare for about $100 less than Apple. After searching here on the forum it sounded like it is legit. So my question is how does B&H offer such a deal?

    2) I have an external monitor with both DVI and DisplayPort inputs. I'm a little confused on how the video output works on the 15-inch Macbook Pro. Is the Thunderbolt connector the same as a mini-DisplayPort? If so, do I need any special cable or can I use this one from MonoPrice:

    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6006&seq=1&format=2

    I'll spring for the $30 Apple adapter if need be but it seems excessive when there are so many cheaper cables so any insight into how the connector works would be greatly appreciated.
     
  4. blooperz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2013
    #4
    if there is an update at all it will probably be marginal at best, so I went ahead with my purchase.. I'm interested in broadwell but who knows when that will be available, from what people are saying it sounds like it's not expected in MacBooks until 2015... just resell and buy then if you HAVE to have the latest and greatest, but its kind of pointless at the rate technology is moving these days
     
  5. marc55 macrumors 6502a

    marc55

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    #5
    B&H must have some type of deal with Apple on the AppleCare, but have no worries, B&H is reputable and I have purchased from the for years.
     
  6. mneblett macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #6
    How does anyone decide what pricing they are willing to offer a product at? Some are willing to accept minimum margin for large volume, or even loss to make a loss-leader to draw in business -- this isn't an Apple-specific matter.

    TB and miniDP connector shapes are the same - both work in the MBP socket.

    I use a DVI-D to miniDP adapter; sorry, no experience with miniDP to DP -- others will have to answer.
     
  7. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    #7
    I use a miniDP to DP cable. They are cheap and work well. I have had no problems with them, though I've only used such a cable for a month or two. I don't expect them to last forever, but since they are so cheap I'll just get a new one if this one stops working in a year or so.
     
  8. samo1215 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #8
    Thanks all for the input, much appreciated!!!

    Sorry, I have one final question. I was pricing out the 15-inch and was really going back and forth between the base model and the one with the discrete graphics card. I don't game or do any video work but I do use Photoshop and an external screen quite a bit.

    While I am concerned about battery life, I am not sitting in a cafe all day so the difference in an hour or so isn't a huge deal breaker. So that aside, is there any other downside to getting the model with the nVida GPU? I ask because, I wanted to get a machine with 16GBs of RAM and a 512GB HD and if you bump the CPU to 2.3Ghz you are just under what the high-end base model with the Nvida chip retails for. I figure at that point what is another $100 or so.
     
  9. raptor402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #9
    The discrete card won't help you much with photoshop and the Iris Pro can handle the external monitor well enough. However, if you are getting 16GB RAM and the 512GB SSD, you might as well go for the top model.

    Best of luck.

    Raptor
     

Share This Page