Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
UPDATE:
Updating to iOS 11.1.1 fixed this.

Original post:

After updating to iOS 11.1, it seems that streaming YouTube to an Apple TV via AirPlay is completely broken on my devices.

Specs:
iPhone 7 (iOS 11.1)
iPad Pro (2015 model, iOS 11.1)
Apple TV (4th generation, iOS 11.1)
Latest version of YouTube app on all devices

Before updating, I was able to start a YouTube video on my iPhone, then hit the AirPlay button and stream it to the Apple TV. Now when I do, the Apple TV will flash black for a split second, then the app on my phone will say "something went wrong, tap to retry". If I tap to retry, the same thing will happen again. Strangely, if I tap the retry option on the second failed attempt the video will then start playing on my phone, but the audio gets streamed to the Apple TV (with a 3 second delay). When this happens, I can try to disable AirPlay and then re-enable it, which will send me back to the "something went wrong" loop. This always happens on the third attempt.

This has only started happening since I updated to the final release of iOS 11.1, and did not occur on any of the public betas. I can replicate the exact same effects on the iPad Pro (also on 11.1, worked fine on 11.0.x and 11.1 public betas) but curiously enough, if I try the same on any device running iOS 10 or iOS 9, YouTube AirPlay works perfectly. All other aspects of AirPlay such as mirroring and playing videos/music from the stock iOS apps still work.

I've tried rebooting all devices, reinstalling YouTube, and even fully erasing and restoring the Apple TV from scratch to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(Personally I suspect that the AirPlay 2 additions to iOS 11.1 may have something to do with this, and the YouTube app might not have been updated to support these changes, but hey, I'm no developer)

Last edited:

RadoV

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I’ve the same problem with the YouTube app, but I doubt it’s caused by iOS 11.1. I already had 11.1 and the YouTube app worked with airplay till YouTube updated their app yesterday.

After updating to iOS 11.1, it seems that streaming YouTube to an Apple TV via AirPlay is completely broken on my devices.

Specs:
iPhone 7 (iOS 11.1)
iPad Pro (2015 model, iOS 11.1)
Apple TV (4th generation, iOS 11.1)
Latest version of YouTube app on all devices

Before updating, I was able to start a YouTube video on my iPhone, then hit the AirPlay button and stream it to the Apple TV. Now when I do, the Apple TV will flash black for a split second, then the app on my phone will say "something went wrong, tap to retry". If I tap to retry, the same thing will happen again. Strangely, if I tap the retry option on the second failed attempt the video will then start playing on my phone, but the audio gets streamed to the Apple TV (with a 3 second delay). When this happens, I can try to disable AirPlay and then re-enable it, which will send me back to the "something went wrong" loop. This always happens on the third attempt.

This has only started happening since I updated to the final release of iOS 11.1, and did not occur on any of the public betas. I can replicate the exact same effects on the iPad Pro (also on 11.1, worked fine on 11.0.x and 11.1 public betas) but curiously enough, if I try the same on any device running iOS 10 or iOS 9, YouTube AirPlay works perfectly. All other aspects of AirPlay such as mirroring and playing videos/music from the stock iOS apps still work.

I've tried rebooting all devices, reinstalling YouTube, and even fully erasing and restoring the Apple TV from scratch to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(Personally I suspect that the AirPlay 2 additions to iOS 11.1 may have something to do with this, and the YouTube app might not have been updated to support these changes, but hey, I'm no developer)

Reactions: Nekomichi

diegovega

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
I’ve the same problem with the YouTube app, but I doubt it’s caused by iOS 11.1. I already had 11.1 and the YouTube app worked with airplay till YouTube updated their app yesterday.

I have the same problem and I also believe it is the Youtube update that broke it since it was working fine yesterday with iOS 11.1

Cannot airplay with either iPhone or iPad...

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I installed an older version of YouTube onto my 11.1 iPhone and the issue persists. Weird.

Richard412

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
I have the same problem and I also believe it is the Youtube update that broke it since it was working fine yesterday with iOS 11.1
+1

I thought I'd solved the problem last night:
1. Changed playback resolution from 1080p to 720p.
2. Cleared search and watch histories.
3. Disabled search and watch histories.
Most videos played without problems. Tap to jump forward/backward was very fast.

This morning - the problems were back.

Strange:
Most videos that were originally live streams play OK.
Most other videos don't play.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Final update:
Installing iOS 11.1.1 fixed this issue. The YouTube app didn’t need to be updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.