UPDATED 11/15!! How to get Skype 2.8 to work once again [Guide]

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Aug 12, 2014.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Still working on mine.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It does not even log in.

Same here with the "Cannot Connect to Server" message.

Maybe they are slowly discontinuing support...

3. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Skype is still working for me with 2.8 on my iBook!

4. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I get the ”Unable to connect to server” on macbook pro 2012 13” running mavericks.

5. GraniteTheWolf macrumors 6502

Looks like older versions of skype are officially axed. I fired up my iMac G4 and i got the dreaded "Cannot connect to server." I tried the fix mentioned in the first post and it still "Cannot connect to server"

Next up I am currently on from my old iBook clamshell. Skype actually logged me in and connected, then it gave me a wierd error after logging in saying my password had changed (when it didnt) so it logged me out and now this computer gets the same server error...

6. ---eMac--- macrumors newbie

My ppc's cant connect to Skype either.

Yesterday, I received this mail from Skype (Its translated with Google from spanish):

"Skype for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (or earlier) will be permanently removed

We have seen that use or were using Skype from the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (or earlier versions) operating system. We regret to inform you that we are removing all versions of Skype running on these operating systems. That's why you can no longer log in to Skype from a device or use it with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (or earlier versions) operating system.

Have you recently updated your Mac OS? Genial. Then you can ignore the above message.

You can also keep in touch with friends and family with Skype for desktops or laptops with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (or later) and Intel, mobile devices and even Xbox One processor, and log in all the same Skype account. The latest versions of Skype for compatible devices are http://www.skype.com/download

Regards

7. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

8. hamis92 macrumors 6502

Still works here, both on Mavericks and Tiger.

9. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

10. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Skype died for me on the desktop, but it ran fine for about a month on my laptop until today. Both are running the exact same OS, too (10.8.5), so that's interesting.

11. mortar macrumors newbie

Updated hack

Someone at the skype forum posted a solution:
    Code:
    sudo nano /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Info.plist

And edit all occurences of the Skype version (CFBundleShortVersionString and CFBundleVersion) to 6.15.0.334.

I tested this hack with Skype version 5.xx and it worked like a charm. No /etc/hosts trick required, and it did not work, either.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

My PPC Skype (2.8) still works, but weirdly doesn't pick up as many online contacts. Same account, just different version. :s

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

13. FineFuturity macrumors member

Hey guys, I stumbled upon this thread just awhile ago, which gives (I think) a nicer solution to the problem. I just tried it and it looks like everything works again -- I can see my online contacts, text chat with them, and make audio calls (tested by calling the "Skype Test Call" contact). Not sure if video calling works, but if anyone wants to give it a go with me, I'd be glad to try it out!

EDIT: looks like mortar beat me to it, haha. Never mind!

14. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

Hehe, Windows 8 is pretty bad, but you must admit that the Tiles interface was kind of a neat idea. It just wasn't implemented properly.

15. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Windows 10 adds what I want back... the start menu! I found the tiles concept completely stupid and made no sense on a non-touch device. Hopefully over the betas they will make it similar to Windows 7 again with the neat stuff from 8.

My wishlist: Sidebar, I used this all the time with a clock, weather, CPU/memory usage and the calendar date! Oh and add "Windows 10" to the side of the start menu like Win95-2000.

16. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Just updated it guys, continue on with happy skype calls! :)

17. MlCHAEL macrumors newbie

How to use this with other Skype versions?

Thankyou for the help, I managed to get Skype 2.8 working however I am unable to use this trick to get other versions of Skype. So far I have only tried with Skype 2.8 (successful) and Skype 5.4.0.1771 (un-successful).
    I really want Skype 5.4.0.1771 to work could you please help me and show me what to do. I did exactly the same as Skype 2.8 and fiddled a bit more which didn't help. Untouched, it displays the message "Skype quit unexpectedly." but after this trick it just bobs for a while and then fades away, when I try change a few more things it just bobs forever till it stops and does nothing (when right-clicked says not responding). Sorry for the long message but I really wanna try help you help me ahaha. I am on a MacBook Air with Yosemite 10.10.1
    Thanks in advance

18. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

I just want to thank you for posting this up !! I did this on my iMac G4 and Skype is working great again !! Happy days !! :D

19. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Hi man. I haven't tested this with any other version rather than 2.8, possibly there is another issue with the hosts file, what I can remember try changing ui.skype.com to 127.0.0.1 with the OS X hosts file.

----------

No problem man! Glad to hear that Skype will continue to live on, especially on an iMac G4 :)

20. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Just out of curiosity, has anyone used Skype lately? It's been quite some time for me.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. It has been signing in as usual for me.

22. Arhigos macrumors newbie

working well, but no video calls on my imac g5 (10.5.8)

Any ideas to fix the video calls??

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. Apparently it is a Microsoft end setting that they changed a long time ago.

24. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Strange how you now need skype 6 to connnect. Skype 4.2 for windows still works fine and Linux has a special Linux Version 4.3 that to this day works just fine. I got a simular email from using Skype 4.2 on Linux saying that it will be retired and Downloading Skype 4.3 for Linux will be required to continue using it

25. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I must be lucky - all my contacts are routinely showing up. Since it's been a while since this thread was bumped up I thought I'd mention that this workaround seems to work just fine still. :)