UPDATED: 2007 Macbook crashing when I hit one key

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gsfgf, Dec 10, 2009.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

UPDATE AGAIN: V just crashed it too. guess it's the kb. I'll call apple tomorrow.

UPDATE: Well, It had been working fine until yesterday when it messed up. It has now messed up three times today. Every time it messed up I had just typed the letter between b and d. Is this a virus or did someone get on my MB and play a joke on me? Seems odd that a hardware problem would be related to a single keystroke. Also, I unintentionally hit (md + that key and no problem.

ORIGINAL: My Fall 2007 Macbook (White) had never crashed at all before yesterday. I was on adium and it just up and rebooted. I let it reboot and it kept crashing. It would crash in adium, firefox, and safari. I had been using it a lot (and it felt hot to the touch), so I figured it just overheated. I let it cool and it worked fine all day today.

Tonight, I was working on a word document, and it crashed again. The case didn't feel hot, and when I rebooted, the CPU was only at 55*C. The only similarity I can find is that I was typing every time it crashed. When I left it on all last night, it didn't crash on me at all.

Ran a couple sweeps of memtest and it all came out ok. Also went ahead and cleared my PRAM.

I know this isn't very helpful info, but does anyone know what's wrong? Or what I can do to get more info on what the problem is.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Are you getting kernel panics or the beach ball. If you are having kernel panics it could be a dead drive. I recently replaced the hard drive on an iMac that was causing kernel panics.

3. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

As far as I can tell, neither. I am not getting the usual kernel panic screen, but I am not getting a beach ball either. It just clicks off and starts booting up again.

4. kelving525 macrumors regular

I would suggest taking it to the Genius Bar because it could be the logicboard. How frequent is the problem though?

5. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

I may do that. I was afraid it could be logic board related.

The problem is really sporadic. It crashed several times in a row last night and the night before, but has also run for hours at a time with no problem during the last two days.

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

If it isn't a beach ball or a kernal panic then it probably is the logic board or power.

7. kelving525 macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards power because I had a similar problem last week. I thought it was a software related issue since an annoying "shutdown" would prompt every minute. I took it to the Apple Store and they said it could be a logic board problem. However, they sent it to the repair center and it turns out to be a power port problem; I even got a new top for free after they did the diagnosis and found that the top part wasn't functioning (supposedly). :cool:

8. vaccumbags macrumors newbie

9. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

Well, It had been working fine until yesterday when it messed up. It has now messed up three times today. Every time it messed up I had just typed the letter between b and d. Is this a virus or did someone get on my MB and play a joke on me? Seems odd that a hardware problem would be related to a single keystroke. Also, I unintentionally hit (md + that key and no problem.

10. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

Yup keyboard. Pressing anywhere inside the bla(k dots as seen in the ata(hed pi(ture makes the (omputer (rash. [And ( (omes up a lot :( ]

Attached Files: