Updated 3GS through itunes and Received 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kfhasan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kfhasan macrumors newbie

Ive used these forums a lot as a lurker to obtain information so its only fair that I share this information that might be useful to many.

I have a 3GS on 3.1.3 new bootrom that got hung when I tried to erase all content and settings. I couldnt get past the apple logo so decided to update through iTunes and wait for the jailbreak/unlock by the dev team.

When I clicked restore on iTunes it went to the software update server and gave me the option to download 3.1.3 instead of 4.0. Not sure why this happened since I thought apple stopped signing and distributing 3.1.3 but im downloading it now and everything appears to be going ok. Just checked the file it has created and it is definitely the 3.1.3 firmware its downloading.

If anybody is in a similar situation, updating through itunes might be worth trying out right now..

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

what version of iTunes are you using? I have updated on one pc and it shows 4.0 is available but on another I have not upgraded and it shows im up to date with 3.1.3

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I just ran umbrella and Apple signed both 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 SHSHs for me just now! I didn't have any SHSH's on file because I just got this device, but it definitely just signed those two for me!

AWESOME!

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Is your device used? It is possible that they were already on file with Cydia...

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

It's not new. I bought it from a fellow MR member a few days before iPhone 4 came out. He never jailbroke it, and there were definitely no SHSH's on file.

I just now ran umbrella and it's still letting me cache the SHSHs all the way back to 3.1.2. It's not letting me do 3.1 or before.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you are able to cache 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, then those SHSHs definitely were on file, whatever he told you. You're getting them from the Cydia server.

7. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Sorry, that's because I took those screenshots after I had already done it. The first time I opened up umbrella (as soon as I saw this thread) it said: Found [1] SHSH to cache, and I think that was my 4.0 SHSH. I definitely did not have 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 SHSHs 20 mins ago.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats impossible dude.
    Believe what you want but like thelatinist said you had them previously saved for that device.
    Apple stopped releasing those SHSH's for those previous builts months ago.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I just tied it for 3.1.2 on my 3GS and it didn't work. Not that I expected it to.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Ok you guys may be right, just did my research.

What led me to believe that Apple was signing them was because the guy I bought my 3GS from said he had never jailbroken it, and that "he doesn't mess with that stuff." So yeah he probably did have the 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 SHSH's already on file. :eek:

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

To be fair, I once was convinced that Apple was still signing 3.1.2 long after the release of 3.1.3 since I was able to retrieve my wife's SHSH from the Apple server using Umbrella even though she'd never been jailbroken. Then I realized I'd edited my hosts file to point to Saurik's server before I upgraded her to 3.1, thereby getting her SHSH on file without even trying...and redirecting Umbrella's "Apple" server request to Cydia.

These things can get confusing.

There are ways to get your SHSH on file without jailbreaking. Edit your host file to point gs.apple.com to Saurik's server and restore/update -- presto! -- SHSH on file without jailbreaking! If you get save your SHSH locally using Umbrella it also gets you on file with Cydia (unless you choose the Apple server option in advanced settings).

12. Dansk macrumors member

My 16gb 3G became jammed up and buggy with email when i tried to send a PDF a week or so back so i wanted to restore but alas... OS 4. So after some hunting I found a copy of 3.1.2 as I was warned against upgrading to 4 with a 3G as it will slow right down and I tried everything about five or six times to load 3.1.2 onto it and failed right at the end of loading everytime. Wouldnt verify or something to that effect so after wasting the better part of a day messing with it I caved in and stuff OS4 on it and the thing is practically USELESS and infuriates me no end.

Im trying to figure out what i need to do to load OS 3.1.2 on there so heres what i did maybe someone can correct or advise Im desperate.

1. I put the phone in recovery mode
    - I tried this plugged into itunes and unplugged on separate attempts

2. I held down the option key while selecting restore in itunes. I then selected my OS 3.1.2 file and it began installation as per norm

3. After it was all done installing it starts verification and right at the absolute end of the task time bar it says "Cannot verify software" or something like that and Im back to my recovery mode screen blinking at me

What do I do?

13. Dansk macrumors member

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You need to put your phone in DFU mode, not recovery mode. You cannot downgrade in recovery mode.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, thats explains it then.
    So you didnt actually get them from Apple but from Sauriks server. :D

16. Dansk macrumors member

Thanks a ton for helping.

I think I did put it into DFU mode I just misquoted by saying recovery mode but I had no idea there was a difference. I found a link with OS 3.1.3 in another thread from Applejuiced so Im going to try that now. Thanks again guys heres to hoping

:eek:

17. goombah88 macrumors member

Dansk,

You're going to have to uninstall itunes and reinstall 9.1. Then itunes will prompt you to restore 3.1.3. itunes 9.0 for 3.1.2 i believe.

18. Dansk macrumors member

That might explain i just updated itunes. I'll downgrade itunes then. Im assuming I can find links here somewhere?

19. Dansk macrumors member

Curious which OS is the optimum for a 3G? I was told to run 3.1.2 by a friend by whatever works best is what i want. Best to me = fast, long bat life, good phone quality ( no dropped calls ) etc I dont care about fluffy features I need this thing to work reliably its my main link to the business world

20. Dansk macrumors member

This is going from bad to worse. I cant get the damn thing into DFU mode now with OS 4

I just want to throw it in the dumpster at this point the frustrations are mighty high in this unbearable heat.