Updated 3gS to iOS4 - now can't get any data connection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by technopimp, Jun 22, 2010.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4 on order, but I upgraded my 3GS to iOS4 earlier today to try it out. Ever since then, I cannot get any sort of data connection over 3G. I am showing full 3G signal, but no Internet-apps (mail, web, anything) can connect. They all just time out. I've switched airplane mode on and off, 3G and cellular data on and off, shutdown/restarted several times, and still I have no data. Has anyone else had this problem since upgrading? I will restore from my last backup if necessary, but obviously not having a data connection seems to be a big problem if it's iOS4 related.

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

My friend had this and the solution was restoring the phone and setting up as a new Phone, not restoring from backup.

3. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Lots of people having this issue. I had to do the restore fresh as well to get mine working. There is a oust on the apple.com support forums under the iPhone networking and Internet board that has a fix that's worked for some people but they lose mms

4. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, this is not good. I checked out the thread you mentioned. Looks like the majority of people with this issue had jailbroken their phones (I had as well). The last resort was to do a full wipe and set up as new phone. I reluctantly did that...however, it did not fix the problem. Now, I have lost all SMS, voicemail access, and contacts, and still have no data. From the looks of it, Apple and AT&T are not interested in helping with the fix. Just great. I knew I should have waited 2 more days for my 4 to arrive and not updated my 3GS.

5. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else here experienced this and been able to fix it? I have restored clean 4 times now, and still I have no data. I tried to restore to an earlier backup but it won't let me select the backup (it's in a folder and when I do the option-click it's apparently looking for a specific file). Apple's help forums are no help, as all I can find is page after page of people with this problem but then people saying how restoring fixed it.

Am I the only person that a restore DIDN'T fix the problem?

6. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Are you restoring a backup or doing a restore and setup as a new phone. DO NOT restore from a backup.

7. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have set it up as a new phone 4 times. Going for a 5th...

8. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Right after the restore and choosing the setup as new phone option do not do anything but try browsing via 3G. If that doesn't work go into settings-> general and reset network settings. Then try it again. I take it when you go into settings->general->about you don't get any message about a carrier file do you?

9. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

One person mentioned something about having AT&T fix their account because something changed when they reordered the iPhone 4 and the upgrade to iOS4 didn't work right because of the screw up with AT&T and their provisioning. Might be a good idea if the setup as a new phone restore doesn't work is to call AT&T and ask for them to check the provisioning for your phone and explain that after the iOS4 upgrade you get no 3G/edge data connection.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I had the same problem earlier this morning and it sounds like my situation is identical to yours--3Gs that was jailbroken (using Spirit jailbreak, if it matters). Data had been working fine all day yesterday but nothing when I tried to download email this morning. Looking back, last night the screen did some wonky things when i tried app switching--repeatedly flashed like I was on a call ('Touch to return to call' message in green box at the top of the phone), then stopped. Everything seemed fine, plugged phone in to charge and called it a night.

I did a restore this morning after nothing else worked (reboot, reset network settings, turned cellular on and off, etc) and did restore from my last backup yesterday (last backup prior to upgrading firmware) and haven't had any problems since. Thankfully my new iPhone 4 is scheduled to arrive Wednesday morning (one of the lucky early arrivals :D) so I'm not sweating it any more. Since a clean restore didn't work, why not try to restore to factory settings and then restore from backup, may get lucky as I did.

Best of luck.