Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
So I recently updated to the newest versions of iPhoto and Aperture.
I shoot in RAW.

I'm running 3.5.1 of Aperture and 10.9.1 of OSX.

I have no problems in iPhoto.
But when I open a photo in Aperture, it gets corrupt. The thumbnails look fine. But when I try to open a photo to edit it, the image looks normal for a moment while it is 'loading' but as soon as the histogram loads the image becomes corrupt.

I'm relatively new to Aperture and this is the first time I've had issues with it.

Any ideas/suggestions/tips?

Thanks everyone!!!

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I shoot in RAW.

But when I open a photo in Aperture, it gets corrupt. The thumbnails look fine. But when I try to open a photo to edit it, the image looks normal for a moment while it is 'loading' but as soon as the histogram loads the image becomes corrupt.

I'm relatively new to Aperture and this is the first time I've had issues with it.

Thanks everyone!!!

Aperture Help / Work with Projects and the Library / Back up the Library /

Read what it has to say about repairing and rebuilding the library. There are hidden key commands for getting this done. There are three levels of repair, if I recall, so start with the least demanding. Mine glitches out every now and then and this seems to fix everything fine.

Dale

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I shoot in RAW.

Thanks everyone!!!

Ouch. When you say "corrupt", does this mean that the image can no longer be opened? Just trying to understand better what you see when you select an image...

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Ouch. When you say "corrupt", does this mean that the image can no longer be opened? Just trying to understand better what you see when you select an image...

By corrupt I mean that after the image loads (not the thumbnail/preview and not the full-screen version before the histogram finishes loading) the image looks normal.

As soon as it finishes loading, the picture becomes a garbled square of random colored pixels. I can click on another image and it looks normal while it loads, then it also becomes a mess of random pixels.

If I open the same picture in iPhoto, it's normal and I can edit.

----------

Aperture Help / Work with Projects and the Library / Back up the Library /

Read what it has to say about repairing and rebuilding the library. There are hidden key commands for getting this done. There are three levels of repair, if I recall, so start with the least demanding. Mine glitches out every now and then and this seems to fix everything fine.

Dale

I've tried holding CMD and Option while launching Aperture and repairing the permissions. I'm currently backing up my library to a spare HDD that I had laying around. Once I have an up-to-date backup, I'll start trying the different kinds of repairs and perhaps re-install Aperture.

I didn't have any problems with 3.5.

Thanks!!!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Ok, I've tried the permission repair and DB repair. No luck.
I deleted the user preferences. No luck.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Aperture. No luck.

Any other ideas?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Ok, I've tried the permission repair and DB repair. No luck.
I deleted the user preferences. No luck.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Aperture. No luck.

Any other ideas?

Try selecting a corrupted image in the viewer. Hold the option key and right click (or track-pad equiv) and select "Generate Preview". Does this fix the issue for the one image in the viewer?

I haven't seen this issue in Aperture but I have in Capture One, though they seemed to be having an issue graphics-driver-wise at the time. Switching to discrete graphics (I had an older late 2008 mbp at the time) seemed to resolve it and the issue got fixed in a later release. Probably not what's going on here, but thought I'd mention it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
If this has always happened with 3.5.1 and never with 3.5 or iPhoto, it could be a bad copy of 3.5.1. If you have an Aperture disk, install it and run the on-line update. If not, ask Apple for help. It's not your computer, it's their software. Otherwise it would affect iPhoto and 3.5 as well.

If you have 3.5 on a backup disk, delete/uninstall Aperture and reinstall 3.5. Then you can either re download and run the update or stick with 3.5. Do not use your 3.5.1 updater. Get a new one.

Dale

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I tried the 'Generate preview' but it did not make a difference.

I have time machine backups, so I could restore Aperture, iPhoto, and my Library. Boy that seems like a lot of work...

Thanks!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I tried the 'Generate preview' but it did not make a difference.

I have time machine backups, so I could restore Aperture, iPhoto, and my Library. Boy that seems like a lot of work...

Thanks!

Have you tried re-importing one or more of the RAW files into a new project and does it exhibit the same behavior?

Just out of curiosity, what's your camera? If you have a place (dropbox link or similar) where I can download one of the RAW files, I'd be interested to see if I get the same behavior on my machine.

jmgag03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
I have this exact same problem. I really hope you get it fixed and can tell me how to do the same.

jmgag03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Its several cameras. Rebel xti. a super old canon hand held. Iphone. Almost no photos taken in RAW

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Its several cameras. Rebel xti. a super old canon hand held. Iphone. Almost no photos taken in RAW

Because your issue is slightly different (seeming) than the OP's, basically you are saying that your JPGs in Aperture are whacked, but you can view them in other tools (Preview, etc) with no problem, correct? Can you post a JPG so I can try and recreate it on my system? If I can recreate it, I'd be happy to file a bug report with Apple.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Ok, I have an update.

It seems to be an issue with the graphics driver.
Something I didn't mention was that I (was) running 2 video cards in my Mac Pro.
1 - The Nvidia GT120 that came stock with my MP.
2 - An Apple Radeon 5870 that I bought as an upgrade.

I removed the GT120 and ran both displays off of the 5870 and the problem went away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.