Updated app blue dot

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rick98761, Mar 19, 2015.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I haut realized I haven't been getting these next to my recently updated apps for months. Just realized it after seeing them on my wife's phone a few hours ago. I can't seem to find any option to turn them on or off. Any ideas?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I don't get them often either. Sometimes i do, sometimes I don't.

Pretty sure for apps you update manually or when you go into app store to check for updates, those apps won't show with a blue dot since you are seeing them being updated. Whereas if they auto update in the background you will see the dot to let you know it did.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Settings> ITunes & App Store> Scroll to Automatic Downloads. Turn on switch for Apps.

I believe the auto updates only occur on WiFi. YMMV
    PLEASE NOTE the usual disclaimer: I accept no responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy of the preceding info. :D

4. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I'm still on 7 and get the dots every time I manually update an app. I have auto turned off. Don't know if it changed on 8.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I have auto turned on, WiFi only. I manually told it to update like 4 apps today and none have a blue dot and I haven't opened any of the updated apps yet. However, there was an app the other day that updated which did get a blue dot. I think it was one that updated on its own on WiFi without any interference from me.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

What's the problem with blue dot? There isn't a way to turn it off.

7. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know for sure some apps have updated on their own, and I still never get blue dots on my iPhone or iPad.

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Nope. I always update manually and always get the blue dot. I rather see what the update fixes or contains so no auto for me ever.

9. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I check for updates manually every day and get a blue dot every time I update something. I would love the ability to turn them off since some apps on my phone can go days without being opened and I see no reason for them to be there.

I can see them making sense if auto updates are on but not with manual updates. I know I updated the app.

10. funkdoc23 macrumors regular

funkdoc23

When on auto updates no blue dot appears... you'll just get a notification

11. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

From my iPhone 4 to iPhone 6, every update to your apps have a blue dot.

12. jww062 macrumors member

I don't know for sure if this is the case, but it may depend if the app is already opened in the background. For example, I noticed Google Music, Facebook and Evernote on my phone don't get the dots... but they're almost generally opened in the background since I use them more frequently. Whereas most of the other apps, like games, show the dot.

Again, just speculation on my part based upon my experience.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Same here. There might be some logic to it, but it doesn't really seem to be completely clear or perhaps even consistent.

14. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

I think you need to open the App Store after the app has updated to get the blue icon.

At least that works for me anyway.

15. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Could be the reason. I didn't do any testing but I can confirm that sometimes the blue dots aren't displayed while manually updating apps.

----------

I will give it a try next time.

16. iOSBry macrumors 6502

The update pie chart and blue dot indicating an updated app is broken. I've got a bug report open with Apple on this and there are a number of duplicates (mine wasn't the first) created for this bug as well.

With the iOS 8.3 betas I've never seen the app update pie chart and blue dot.

iOSBry

17. iOSBry macrumors 6502

My previous post is incorrect - I tested this thoroughly on two iPhone 5S's running iOS 8.3 beta 3.

If you have Settings-> iTunes & App Store-> Automatic Downloads-> Updates enabled, you do not get the blue dot or automated pie chart progress during the automatic update.

If you have Settings-> iTunes & App Store-> Automatic Downloads-> Updates disabled and then manually update one or more apps via App Store-> Updates-> Update or Update All, the blue dot is presented for each updated app and you will see the automated pie chart progress during the manual update process.

I repeated this twice on each device and it worked exactly as outlined above. I've updated my bug for this issue on http://bugreport.apple.com/.

iOSBry

18. AddisonIII macrumors regular

I get the blue dot when ever I update from the App Store . I never do auto.

19. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I usually have Automatic downloads for updates set to off. I didn't have any blue dots showing and turned on auto dnlds. I immediately got the pie chart and an app updated. :confused: