Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Germany
I just got the the message that an Apple System Extension got updated, it's signed with Apple, Inc. Anyone with the same message? Why will Apple update an extension not via software update? Is there a way to see which kext this is?

(Sorry, the Screenshots are in German)

IMG_9424.png IMG_3757.png

mgdominguez

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
This just happened to me. I put my Macboo Pro to sleep last night and when I tried to wake it up today it did a start up boot with two chimes. Apparently it crashed at some point during the night. I got the message twice with two separate approvals and reboots.

So far it seems to work ok, but no idea what happened.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I got the same alert. I don't trust this - Apple never updated system software outside of their regular system updates. It also states nowhere what is being updated.

I will not install this and wait for confirmation first.

BTW I am in Germany as well.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Not sure if you were just adding something to the conversation or you just didn't read my post.

If you have ever had to manually approve a kernel extension FROM APPLE in the Security & Preferences pane, please sound off. I was not referring to 3rd party extensions, which is what the depreciation refers to.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I had a Twitter chat with AppleSupport, but they can't seem to put a finger on what it is about:

To confirm, have you seen this pop up multiple times? If so, do you see it when using a specific app? Have you seen this pop-up prior to installing macOS Big Sur?
(I denied the question, only once so far)
Let us know if the message reappears during normal use of your Mac. We’ll be here when you need us.
Not super helpful, but after I did not allow the system extension there has been no further request to allow it.
STRANGE, REALLY.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Not sure if you were just adding something to the conversation or you just didn't read my post.

I was adding "something", and yes, I did read your post which talked about "the installation of an "Apple kernel extension""

I'll "sound off" if you wish. I've been using Macs since 1995.

Perhaps the OP should look at "System information..." in "Installations" by "Install date" to see if anything was actually installed?

And by the way, the OP didn't say he'd been asked to approve the installation "in the Security & Preferences pane". I don't have that pane, only one called "Security & Privacy".

Now that the Flash Player has been made obsolete I was wondering if this was a similar ruse to trick the user into downloading malware? ?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: SketchyClown

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
I'll "sound off" if you wish. I've been using Macs since 1995.

And by the way, the OP didn't say he'd been asked to approve the installation "in the Security & Preferences pane". I don't have that pane, only one called "Security & Privacy".
Oh dear, I have ruffled someones dendrites. Glad to see it only took you 26 years to make it here.

Yes it is Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences. You get a gold star.

The OP didn't state it, his German screenshots seem to show the button to approve a kernel extension.

He didn't however state he gave it approval, so likely nothing did get installed.

I will agree with you on one thing. It could easily be a ruse to install some form of malware.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
I had a Twitter chat with AppleSupport, but they can't seem to put a finger on what it is about:

Not super helpful, but after I did not allow the system extension there has been no further request to allow it.
STRANGE, REALLY.

Steering things back to the OP.

It is strange. I know when installing 3rd party software that requires authorizing a kernel extension, you'd get that popup during the installation to go to Security & Privacy & click Allow. However, if you didn't click it, it would disappear after the software installation completed. To get another chance to authorize it, you'd have to re-run the software installation again for it to reappear.

Happening at random is very suspect. I'd still keep your eyes out for any flaky behaviour.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I routinely scan for malware with CleanMyMac, and due to my software (Little Snitch and other stuff) I think it is highly unlikely that I just happened to download and run malware.

Never say never though. I will keep my eyes open...

Reactions: SketchyClown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.