All Devices Updated Apple Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by Aussi3, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Aussi3, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited by MozMan68: Jun 19, 2019 at 4:45 AM

Aussi3 Suspended

Aussi3

This is a Wiki Thread for the latest updates to the Apple Maps app. Note that some of the updates listed below may only be available in the latest beta software and not necessarily publicly available until iOS13 is released in mid-September.

Please simply click on "EDIT" for this post to make changes to the noted areas below. It looks like there will be many coming now that iOS13 is entering beta phase and it was announced at WWDC that the United States should be completely updated by the end of 2019. :)

Thanks to @Weaselboy , this post is now a wiki. Let's post observed confirmed changes to the Apple Map imagery and POIs here. With thanks to @MozMan68 , here is the start:

• Updated Maps Areas
      • Arizona - Added February 27, 2019
      • California - Northern CA Added July 3, 2018, Southern CA added January 2, 2019
      • Hawaii - Added November 2018
      • Nevada (Las Vegas regional area as well as Western border including Reno) - Added February 27, 2019
      • New Mexico - Added February 27, 2019
    • Notable Changes
      • All building shapes modified using a combination of satellite and ground based LIDAR data to create more realistic 3D shapes in map mode
      • Open-sided or more "non-building" structures (gazebos, parking shelters, etc.) largely removed to avoid clutter in Map mode
      • Distinction of various ground data textures (sand/beaches, golf courses, baseball fields, tennis courts, pools, etc.) represented in more detail
      • Road color/weight adjusted to better represent major versus secondary roads or driveways
      • POI updates (at least in the USA) being updated within 24-48 hours.
      • Seasonal hours added to POI data
      • CarPlay now has option to select alternate route on screen
      • Look Around
        Explore where you’re going before you get there with an immersive 3D experience that gives you a 360-degree view of a place. And enjoy smooth and seamless transitions as you navigate your way around
      • Collections
        Build collections of your favorite and soon-to-be-favorite locations and share them with friends and family
      • Favorites
        Whether it’s home, work, the gym, or your kid’s school, create a list of places you visit often for quick, one-tap navigation
      • Junction View (China)
        Junction View helps drivers eliminate wrong turns and directional misses by lining them up in the correct lane before they need to turn or enter an elevated road. This feature is already available in the USA as "lane guidance"
      • Share ETA
        Share your estimated time of arrival with family, friends, and coworkers. Your ETA even updates should a significant delay occur
      • Customer feedback
        A redesigned customer feedback experience makes submitting incorrect addresses, business locations, or operating hours that much easier
      • Improved Siri guidance
        More natural language enhances the navigation experience. So instead of saying “in 1,000 feet turn left,” Siri says “turn left at the next traffic light.” Improved navigation also guides you closer to your end-point destination, which is especially important for large venues
      • Real-time transit
        Maps offers transit schedules, arrival times, network stops, and system connections for better route planning. It even includes important real-time information like outages and cancellations
      • Flight status
        Up-to-the-moment information about your flight terminals, gate locations, departure times, and more is now available
      • Place cards
        Place cards are more helpful and easier to use, with dynamically updated information for things like Today@Apple sessions at Apple Store locations, movie theater time listings, and more
      • MapKit
        Updates include vector overlays that allow developers to add heat maps, weather, or buildings on top of the map, as well as point-of-interest filtering. MapKit also supports Dark Mode
      • Improved CarPlay experience
        CarPlay provides easier route planning, search, and navigation, as well as Junction View. Favorites and Collections features are also available in CarPlay.
      • Split screen for CarPlay allowing both Maps and Music views simultaneously. Note that 3rd party mapping apps like Google Maps and Waze will still function as full screen maps until the apps are updated to the iOS13 spec in the Fall (assuming Apple allows that feature for 3rd party apps)
      • Traffic Light Symbols visible when navigating. Assuming this added feature is tied to new improved Siri guidance as noted above. No confirmation yet that these symbols can be "turned off" so they do not show up on the map for a cleaner look.
    • Errors ("glitches" only please that you are experiencing in the new Maps areas. Report all POI, routing or Map errors/omissions directly to Apple in the Maps app.)
      • Error

2. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

The app looks/works the same. The data for part of California looks to be very much more detailed.

3. Aussi3 thread starter Suspended

Aussi3

Any street view or anything like that? What’s the satellite view like?

4. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

No street view, no. Unfortunately I can't compare satellite imagery from b2 and b3 as I'm all b3 now. Perhaps someone else still on iOS 11 or iOS 12 PB1 or DP2 can post some images in the region for comparison.

5. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Satellite view is great. The 3D satellite view is amazing.

6. Aussi3 thread starter Suspended

Aussi3

Any pictures? :) wish they could do Australia with it lol!

7. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Some screen record from my iPad Pro. Some of the area around Apple Park. I was impressed with the second one and what seems to be the parking garage, that the satellite imagery got the sides peeking in a bit.

8. yoheywut, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

yoheywut macrumors member

I’m running beta 3 here in San Francisco and I don’t see any changes to the maps from iOS 11. I notice the maps app flashes when I scroll around the map of the city, like it’s trying to show the new data, but it still stays the same. Any thoughts?

Edit: looks like switching to satellite and back fixed it.

9. s2mike macrumors 6502a

Does the “new” Maps still insist on opening everything in Yelp?

God, that’s annoying.

10. yoheywut macrumors member

Yup still Yelp centric

11. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Hi, how did you manage to post a screen record in here? Everytime I try, it gives an error on macrumors

12. Aussi3 thread starter Suspended

Aussi3

Wow thanks for the videos looks awesome!

13. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

1F33E3AB-694B-4A45-983D-9A32E94C231B.png
    Here’s a quick screenshot I took in San Francisco. A lot more detail than beta 2.

14. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I’m not sure the satellite view is any more detailed than previous versions. It looks the same on my iOS 12 PB1.

15. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

I uploaded them to vimeo and posted the links here.

If you look at the video segments there, you can see a 'vimeo' click-through (you can click on it and watch it on vimeo at higher resolution).
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2018 ---
    It's possible. I haven't looked at satellite 3d stuff in a while. I was impressed with how close to the buildings I was able to get, and how complete the imagery was even when I rotated around in 360 degrees and able to see into the garage, from between both of the large parking structures.

The vector maps are clearly more detailed (even the original article up here on MR showed an impressive before/after).

16. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I don’t think they’ve updated anything other than the base maps yet. The TechCrunch article/interview said as much. No jarring changes until they have wider coverage.

17. Aussi3 thread starter Suspended

Aussi3

Yeah looks a lot of detail there you got a beta 2 comparison?

18. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Here’s a screenshot from everythingapplepro’s latest video comparing the Moss Beach area between betas.

043F9C55-8F5C-4C1B-9AFC-CB90F82AF440.jpeg

19. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

Unfortunately not, I forgot to take one before I updated. :/

20. Aussi3 thread starter Suspended

Aussi3

Np :)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 4, 2018 ---
    Yeah I saw that looks a lot more detailed hopefully it won’t take long before it spreads to more places!

21. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple even managed to change the traffic between betas! :D

22. tekuonline macrumors newbie

tekuonline

Here is the before image.

Attached Files:

23. MozMan68 macrumors 68030

MozMan68

Damn...would love a public beta release this week so I can play around with this.

24. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

It may be out tomorrow (July 5th) as the 4th is an American holiday and Apple most likely wouldn’t release it on a holiday.

25. MozMan68 macrumors 68030

MozMan68

Yep...that’s what I’m hoping for. If not tomorrow, won’t be until Monday.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.