UPDATED: AppleScript Question, iTunes Auto Labeler...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brayhite, Jun 30, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I didn't want to take the time to search for vague terms like "iTunes labeler" or anything of that sort, so sorry if this has been answered.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could suggest a program that can search the iTunes store database of songs and automatically label the Genres specifically. Composers, etc are extra to me, but if they had something similar to the Artwork option offered in iTunes where they search based on Album and Artist name (or presumably that's how they do it), a Genre labeler similar would be great.

EDIT: Well I found an AppleScript that uses Last.fm to auto-label genres per song. Useful script. Absolutely NO idea how to properly run a script :(

Anyone care to explain? Link for script can be found here: http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Web+Services/forum/21604/_/285676

It's one of the last comments actually, NOT the initial AppleScript posted. It's a .zip file called Folksonomy. Thanks.

2. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I found an AppleScript I want- NOW WHAT?

I found a script I want to run, but I have NO IDEA whatsoever what to do. I have Script Editor opened, and the script (along with the directions provided that I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to erase before running) but I don't understand the directions. A few specifics I'd like answered are:

How do I find my own API?

Once the script is ran, do I need to re-run it every time I want it done for new songs?

Can it be undone if I am unhappy with what it did?

And can anyone tell me if it's running or doing something that isn't what is says it's intended to do? (To save reading time from site, I'm assuming it's supposed to fill in the Genre field in iTunes with the most common tag from Last.fm, and fill in the Grouping field with some number of the not-so-common tags. (And can I tell it to limit how many Grouping labels it fills in?)

I know this is a lot, but I've googled, MRooled, and just scoured the internet for specifics and I can't find anything. I'd be happy if you could just provide a link that answers most of these. Otherwise, I'll be refreshing this thread for the next 20 minutes or so until I can find an answer elsewhere, if it exists.

EDIT: I deleted some of the things I know the answer to now. I also would like to know if I'm doing anything wrong: I added Ballad to the blacklist, but now when I run the script, the example API given (Metallica's Nothing Else Matters) doesn't change Genres at all. But the groupings still stays the same ("<Ballad>"). What am I doing wrong?

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Well I emailed the creator of the script and he hasn't replied yet. I can't imagine nobody on here can't look at this script a answer the few basic questions I have. I know it must be annoying but Google isn't helping and I've nearly exhausted all practical resources.