Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Ooooooh, I've not seen them yet, but the screenshot on the BBC News site looks clean and fresh.

I need to check to see if my friends's responsible for them, as she's works on motion graphics work for the Beeb.

Rinky dink link

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
BBC said:
...Former BBC One controller Lorraine Heggessey scrapped the famous globe identity in 2002, after nearly 40 years as the symbol of the channel.
Grrrrrr, I used to love that globe:(

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
Im not that keen on the current red look, especially at the end of the promos, I say bring back blue...

bbc-1%20globe%20(mechanical,%20large%20white%20'bbc-1',%20yellow%20map%20on%20blue,1978.jpg

L

Lau

Not wishing to be entirely sad, but doesn't the kerning look a bit tight between the "n" and the "e" of "one"?

_42130680_one_surf203.jpg

I could be wrong though. I'm sure they know more than I do...

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Lau said:
Not wishing to be entirely sad, but doesn't the kerning look a bit tight between the "n" and the "e" of "one"?

[pic]

yeah it does look a little tight. however, moving on from the sadness :p

i think the change hasn't come soon enough, however i'm not sure i like these current ideas.

but hey, who am i to comment, i've not actually watched any tv in months. :eek:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Lau said:
Not wishing to be entirely sad, but doesn't the kerning look a bit tight between the "n" and the "e" of "one"?...

...I could be wrong though. I'm sure they know more than I do...
*Still hoping for the bronze medal, but deep inside knows all hope is lost*

kernow said:
Cool - one of the idents is a hippo. I quite like them, particularly the surfing one.
There's a surfing hippo?

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Lau said:

_42130680_one_surf203.jpg

Seems tight to me, it could be the reduction of the image.

I going to have to take along a surfboard next time I go to London, surfs up. ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Lau said:

Looking at a larger version, the kerning looks fine to me, though I do think the tail of the 'n' (and the jpeg compression) causes an optical unbalance between the 'n' and the 'e' that is exaggerated when the image is scaled down (though not necessarily as prominent at smaller sizes) or taken from such a low resolution source as a broadcast image (whilst being compressed further for web use).

But I can't help but think they'd have been better going for a clean stroke face, you're always going to encounter problems with kerning and optical spacing if only one letter in your brand/word has tails (exasperated by the fact that the two letters sandwiching it don't :p), though increase the kerning and you'll have problems with the tracking.

*click on image to enlarge*

dogsbody

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Channel Islands
Good riddance

I'm glad that those contrived Indian dancing, Tai-Chi (or whatever) and skateboarder and wheelchair basketball ones are going. The hanging red scarf thingys were ok, but that was about it.

Bring on the hippos (damn, that sounds contrived too).

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
iGav said:
Looking at a larger version, the kerning looks fine to me, though I do think the tail of the 'n' (and the jpeg compression) causes an optical unbalance between the 'n' and the 'e' that is exaggerated when the image is scaled down (though not necessarily as prominent at smaller sizes) or taken from such a low resolution source as a broadcast image (whilst being compressed further for web use).

But I can't help but think they'd have been better going for a clean stroke face, you're always going to encounter problems with kerning and optical spacing if only one letter in your brand/word has tails (exasperated by the fact that the two letters sandwiching it don't :p), though increase the kerning and you'll have problems with the tracking.

*click on image to enlarge*
I know he's trying to explain something to me, but I don't know what it is; Is somebody trapped in the well iGav?, show me.
*iGav lifts paw......and slaps mpw*

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Lau said:

It is tight, but no tighter than between the "o" and the "n" of "one", so at least they're consistent...

I'm more concerned by the balance of the whole logo... the two words don't seem very well linked – bbc is tiny and one is floating off of it.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I quite liked the old one where they're tangoing in the rain(might have been another dance, I'm no expert) and the woman in the couple who the ident is focussing on kicks her leg right up. It was fantastic... :(

Ah well, change is good I suppose.

L

Lau

iGav said:

Agreed, the one you posted looks fine, and pretty much equal — I think it's the blurry pixels on the teeny web one. :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
I saw them on BBC Breakfast this morning... though I have to say I'm a tad disappointed that they've shifted from in-camera sequences to post heavy ones.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
So... what do people think now they've been on air for the last few days?

I like them... though the transparency on the BBC logo looks wrong to me, almost like they've not bothered with an alpha channel at all. :eek:

The concentric circle theme, is somewhat reminiscent of the Tomato developed circles of Channel 4 back in the '90's too.

L

Lau

iGav said:
So... what do people think now they've been on air for the last few days?

I like them... though the transparency on the BBC logo looks wrong to me, almost like they've not bothered with an alpha channel at all. :eek:

The concentric circle theme, is somewhat reminiscent of the Tomato developed circles of Channel 4 back in the '90's too.

Ooh, are they on now? I haven't watched TV for days. I shall make a concerted effort tomorrow (off to the pub now :D ).

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Lau said:
Ooh, are they on now? I haven't watched TV for days. I shall make a concerted effort tomorrow (off to the pub now :D ).
I saw the hippo one last night for the first time. I really don't think they're that good, but I have no idea about these sorts of things.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I'm a little on the fence, to be honest. I'm not wowed but I'm not massively impressed, just... indifferent, I suppose. Maybe they'll grow on me?

I'm not keen on the new 'one' lettering, though. I like a little bit more space between my letters, me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I remember seeing these in some newspaper a while ago thinking "God I love the BBC". I couldn't wait to see them in motion and last night I caught the bike one. Quite beautiful on my EyeTV, 16:9 P-Scan. Very very beautiful. Glad to see they got rid of the older ones, I used to like them but got a little tired of the contrived method to incorporate "diversity" into the BBC. Take Blue Peter. A white Scottish woman, an asian London woman and a black London guy. I never watched much Blue Peter but when I saw it several days ago I kept seeing these blatantly obvious attempts to be completely PC. Diversity yes just not painfully obvious... oops I've gone off topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.