Updated Cydia, Now Phone is Weird, Need Help Finding Culprit

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

So I hadn't opened Cydia in MONTHS. Went into it last night to get Insomnia back and it did that thing where it tells you all the updates, and X amount are "critical" or however it words it. I just hit "complete update" to install everything. Well since then the phone has been acting funny. This is what I've noticed so far:

When typing (in ANYTHING, not just particular things), the blue cursor is "slower" than the characters. I'll be typing a word and characters show up but the cursor lags behind, it's always to the left of the new character, or when deleting it leaves a space between the cursor, like it's lagging the opposite way now.

Things "fly" in from the edges of the screen. For example when auto-correct has suggestions, instead of it just popping up above the word the bubble like "flys" over from the status bar area. Same thing when you click a new entry field when filling in a form (like shipping info or whatever), the box highlight "flies" over from the edge of the screen.

Zooming/scrolling "reloads" everytime. Like if I pinch to zoom in/out once I stop the zoom the page like flashes for a split second back to the previous size, or when I scroll it does the flash thing but in the same size.

Also, scrolling down/up pages makes things "fill in" from left to right, or a gray bar goes from left to right. Like when I scroll down the "about" page in general settings, all the info on each line shoots in from left to right when scrolling down. Or that line goes across, almost like when you read an e-book and it does the simulated "page turn" graphic.

Switching pages in safari/home screen has "background flashes". In safari if you go to multi-page view and switch between pages for a split second there is a black background then the actual page image "flies" in and covers it. On homescreens some app icons do that same thing, or turn all black when you touch them.

I'm being as descriptive as possible, but this is very hard to describe haha.

All of this happens for a split second, but it is very noticeable and HIGHLY annoying/distracting. Has anyone else experienced this when installing "recent" Cydia updates (I say "recent" in quotes since it's been awhile since I used Cydia so I'm not sure how recent the offending update item is).

I'm on a launch-day 3GS running 4.2.1

2. budgynana macrumors member

When you hit complete update it updated everything including your Cydia apps and this could be the problem rather than Cydia itself. If you post what apps you've got maybe other users can respond and tell you if there are any particularly buggy updates out that you may have accidentally upgraded to.

3. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Should I just go into manage/packages and list everything that's there?

This is craziness, it's unbelievably distracting haha.

4. budgynana macrumors member

A lot of the packages will be safe, or at least should be, but no harm in listing them all... just means you have to type more :p

5. Agent 21, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, finally got a chance to type the list. Here goes:

Activator
    Airplane SBSettings
    AppSync 4.0+
    APR (/usr/lib)
    APT 0.7 (apt-key)
    APT 0.7 HTTPS Method
    APT 0.7 Strict
    APT 0.7 Strict (lib)
    Backgrounder
    Base Structure
    Berkeley DB
    Big Boss Icon Set
    Bourne-Again SHell
    bzip2
    Core Utilities (/bin)
    cURL
    Cydia Installer
    Cydia Translations
    Darwin Tools
    Debian Packager
    Debian Utilities
    Diff Utilities
    diskdev-cmds
    Essential
    Find Utilities
    GNU Privacy Guard
    grep
    gzip
    Hackulous Resources
    Insanelyi RepoPrep
    Insomnia
    Insomnia Toggle
    Installous 4
    libhide
    libstatusbar
    libxml2library
    LZMA Utilities
    Mobile Substrate
    MyOS
    New Curses
    OpenSSL
    PAM (Apple)
    PAM Modules
    pcre
    Preference loader
    Profile directory
    Readline
    Ringer/silent toggle
    Rotation inhibitor
    Saurik's Sources
    SBSettings
    SBSettings toggles
    sed
    Shell-cmds
    Sinful IPhone Repo
    Source GUI
    Speed intensifier
    Springboard access
    SQLite 3.x library
    System-cmds
    Tape archive
    UIKit Tools

So that is everything listed under packages, all have a green checkmark next to them. Sorry for the massive list, I know most of that is irrelevant, but I just wanted to list every thing to cover all bases. I'd like to solve this ASAP, seems to be getting worse (the lag/delay). I dont evwn know what most of that is/does. The Repos and things like Installous, SBSettings (and its toggles), Insomnia, Rotation Lock, Ringer/silent SB toggle are all things I added, but most of that list mean nothing to me, in terms of what it is.

Also, not sure if it means anything, but another "curious" thi g after doing all those updates was it popped up and said my devices disk space was getting low and to delete files for more room (paraphrase, don't remember exact wording), but I have a 32gb 3GS and it has 15.2gb of free space, so not sure what that warning was all about.

6. budgynana macrumors member

Erm, you have a few things there that will be frowned upon here lol But I think you know what I mean so I'm not gonna bust your balls about it.

Anyways, you've got a lot on there that I don't have experience of so other people will have to chip in on this but I will say that you probably need to deactivate or remove Speed Intensifier to help with your trouble shooting - that thing's gonna mask or make some of the problems worse. Also, I haven't heard many good things about Backgrounder so see if that's a possible culprit.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why don't you get rid of your pirated stuff and see how that works? People have issues and they don't seem to connect it with the pirated crud they have installed. Talk about a disconnect in the thinking process.:rolleyes:

8. Agent 21, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, i appreciate the help, but i dont need the "pirated stuff" lecture. Im not the only one who choses to use certain things available to jailbreakers, some people choose to, others dont, just like with music. Nobody is here for a moral lecture. I posted, PURPOSELY including that stuff for sake of full disclosure, knowing I'd probably get comments. However, i posted here for help with an issue. Dont jump to the self-righteous "get rid of your pirated stuff and your probs will go away" BS because for one, you dont even know that those things have even been used to actually pirate, let alone the amount. Also, didnt have a single problem with the phone all this time until I updated Cydia packages, so again, id appreciate some ACTUAL help/suggestions instead of the "model citizen Lars Ulrich" treatment and chalking it up to "pirated material" because thata the cool answer. Its NOT due to pirated material, nothing new has been added to my phone in months, pirated or legit, besides legit updates from purchased App Store games/apps (*GASP* purchased?!?!? Yeah, PURCHASED, just because you see installous and such doesnt mean ive got 32GB of pirated material).

Didnt have a single problem until updating the cydia packeges, so SOMETHING in that list that recently updated is cauaing all the issues in the OP.

*EDIT* Dont mean to sound like an ***, nothing against you at all, but its frustrating asking for a solution in a place sepcifically designed for getting answers on the topic amd instead getting the run of the mill cookie cutter reply of "its the pirated stuff" as soon as someone sees Installous or the like. Im not new to technology/internet/jailbreaking etc. I know the risks associated with pirating, and i also know how to troubleshoot things. The reason im posting here is because i COULDNT find a solution on my own, even after considering any possible pirated content.

9. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I deleted Speed Intensifier and everything is perfect now, thanks a bunch! I miss it already though haha. Got used to it, and it jad been fine for a few months, til the package update the other day. Oh well, better to have a fully working phone with apps that load normally instead of a busyed phone with super fast app loading haha. Thanks again, much appreciated.