Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
Has anyone been able to update the AMD GPU drivers under bootcamp? I have 2x 6800XT Duo's and whilst they work fine, the app I need to use requires newer drivers. The current AMD installer thinks there is no AMD hardware installed. The bootcamp drivers are from 2022.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Odd. My Sapphire RX-580 8GB is recognized by the AMD installer under Windows. It allows me to install the latest driver.
Are you using Apple BootCamp or Windows native drivers? If they are Apple, you could try uninstalling the Display driver and then try again with the downloaded AMD driver.

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
I installed Win10 via Bootcamp and then updated the drivers via the Apple Software Update tool. After that I downloaded the AMD driver installer(s). None of them detect any hardware. So for kicks I updated to Win 11 - same thing. I even put a 6900XT in and still none of the installers pick up any hardware.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Did you tried running DDU and then Catalyst?

smckenzie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2022
DDU didn't make any difference. I ran DDU, rebooted and had 3 devices listed as Basic Display in Display Adapters. I ran the installer, the screen flickered and it detected the 6900XT (this happened before) but the installer still threw an error stating that no hardware was detected. The driver for the 6900XT is dated 2023 so maybe came from Windows Hardware? The 6800XT's aren't found at all. My Studio Display is currently connected to the 6900XT because I can't the get the others to work.

ChrisMakesNMods

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
I just went through this. Same problem of getting any of the latest driver downloads from AMD to recognize my 6900XT.

A partial solution:

1. Download the driver for the 6900XT from AMD.
  2. Go through the install process and let it fail. The “Oops…” message.
  3. Open Device Manager and right click on the 6900XT under Display Adapters.
  4. Select “Update driver” and “Browse my computer for drivers”
  5. Browse to the AMD directory, usually C:\AMD, and check the box for ”Include subfolders”
  6. Click next and let it install the new drivers.
After, the latest driver is installed. See attached.

It is a partial solution because the auto-detect feature of the AMD installer still fails to recognize the 6900XT. Guessing it is some registry entry somewhere that BootCamp fails to set or name properly. Pure speculation on my part, tho. Would love to see a more complete solution if someone comes up with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpeg
    IMG_2244.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.