Updated iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MajorTCS, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MajorTCS macrumors regular

I have recently updated my iBook. Maxed out the RAM and swapped the HD for a 64GB SSD. Was it worth it? It was costly, however I am waiting for a 4GB MBA ,or something similar,and wanted my machine to respond. It really is responsive. For me this was a compromise until I have to spend the big $.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

It's not worth it to spend any significant money on an iBook G4 at this point. The bottleneck of those machines is the outdated processor, and that can't be changed. iBook G4s are also plagued with bad logic boards. They're dropping like flies. If you're going to reuse the SSD drive in another machine, I'd says it's a good investment. Those things will last a while.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IMO, the RAM is dirt cheap on those things, and when I went from 128 to 640MB, it made a HUGE difference.

The cost of the SSD was most likely a waste.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Considering that SSD was probably worth more than the iBook G4 you have, it might have been a waste. If you can reuse it in another computer then it wasn't much of a waste after all.

Which model did you get? How fast does it boot?

5. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

can you get IDE SSD drives? i would have thought they were all sata. IDE would certainly bottleneck the drive speeds

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes. What do you think is in the first gen Macbook Air ;)