Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Mac Rumors Article Link

With multiple sites pointing towards possible updates this week -- iPods and PowerBooks are listed as leading contenders. However, according to reliable sources, it appears that it is the iMac updates that are imminent.

Our Buyer's Guide shows the iMac has come due for a revision, with a recent ThinkSecret report revealing specs for the new machines. Sources confirm a 1.0GHz and 1.25GHz speed bump to the iMac line, with the addition of USB2 -- inline with ThinkSecret's specs.

In addition, new information reveals pricing will remain the same for the updated iMacs, coming in at $1299 and $1799 respectively.

An iMac update, obviously, does not preclude other announcements this week or at Apple Expo Paris.

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
Originally posted by Stella
Makes a change from the daily PowerBook rumours! :)

Too bad I'm about to SELL my iMac and BUY a Powerbook.. I can't wait forever Apple!! Update the stinkin' 'books!!!!:eek:

Comment

Omek

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Hmmm... perhaps a G5 Powerbook isn't too out of the question. It would be weird for them to update the iMacs before the Powerbooks.... could mean something... maybe...

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Mineral
Too bad I'm about to SELL my iMac and BUY a Powerbook.. I can't wait forever Apple!! Update the stinkin' 'books!!!!:eek:

Werd \m/

EndSerenading

Comment

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Always nice to hear about an upgrade, but color me uninterested. It seems we all have a one track mind right now. My guess is that the iMacs are a kind of cover for ... no powerbooks this week. ugh!

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
People took too much importance into Steve's "Year of the Laptop" quote.

For a long time I've thought this. The way I took it was that Laptops would sell in significantly more quantities this year. Hence, the year of the laptop.

No more, nothing less. Not G5 are going to appear or just wait for what Apple are going to do in 2003...

Of course, "The Year Laptop" has turned into just that - "You will have your laptop all year, because we aren't going to up-date them!!" as some people have joked.

Originally posted by e-coli
The Year of the Laptop!!!

:rolleyes:

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
well no not really, Apple has released many products out at once. I'm not specualting anything but its apple and who the hell has any idea what they will do next

Comment

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
You people posting with your "hmmm G5 notebooks must be tomorrow" SLAY me! Too darn funny... funny and so incredibly wrong. Sorry jinky try next year.

As far as the iMac, seems too little too, uh, little. But hey maybe sources are wrong and they'll stick a G5 in it. [coughs] (those who don't know that was humor, ain't no G5 in the iMac until next year either if ever). What's curious is from poking around it looks like there's still supply in the channel of existing iMacs, maybe they're sick of waiting.

And as the case for PBooks, believe it when we see it, there's been talk of new iMacs since the beginning of summer.

And I can't wait for the G5 iPod, I bet that's going to be announced at Paris with the G7 Powerbook. [coughs]

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by mac15
well no not really, Apple has released many products out at once. I'm not specualting anything but its apple and who the hell has any idea what they will do next
isnt that the truth, look for imacs & powerbooks ( if not they are needed)

Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Who cares

Gimme the G5 I ordered and update the Powerbook line. The 15" has been due for an update longer than the iMac line has...

Comment

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
I am this close (makes motion with hands) to buying a maxed-out 900Mhz iBook instead of a 12" powerbook..... :mad:

Comment

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Just to bring it up again....

The G5 PowerBook is not away as people think. As IBM nicely pointed out back months ago for the PPC 970, they can produce chips that use low Watt's and have nice performance. I am sure Apple would love to include 1.2-1.6ghz G5's in the PowerBook and could probably do it right now with nary a major case change.

If I am wrong, so be it, but I can see no reason for them to be delayed except Apple milking the AlBook's for all they are worth (hey I have one and am awaiting the next upgrade to get another).

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
iMac ?!

So does anybody actually care about the iMac anymore? I feel distinctly underwhelmed. Excite me Apple, you know you can do it!

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I want an eMac. I am a teacher and am waiting for a 1.25Ghz Combo for $849 (ed price) I wonder if iMac updates are coming if a new improved eMac for the same price is coming, would love to see DDR Ram and an 80GB HD for that price. Well before I think they let the 1Ghz iMac out of the door a couple of months before the 1Ghz eMac, so I suppose I will have to wait until winter.

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
true but if i was steve with the g5 it would be time to make up for all that moto stagnation and put mac in the front again. how you do this? G5's everywhere and G5's going faster and faster. Best OS and Hardware. period case closed.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
iMacs at the same price? What are they adding, clock speed and USB 2? Sorry, Apple, this is getting too lame. I mean, if it was using the 7457, the extra cache would be nice, but all of those would go to the PB first. And no L3 cache b/c it is too expensive. :(

FYI the iMac has increased 200 MHz in 21 months. Very sad.

Comment

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
…put mac in the front again. how you do this? G5's everywhere and G5's going faster and faster. Best OS and Hardware. period case closed…

Yeah, i agree, all these sluggish G4 items on the Apple shopping list are getting to be a total embarassment- its bad enough being shown up by the opposition, let alone by the big brother G5! Bring on a stonking new sexy aluminium G5 iMac redesign that makes me lust to own one again!

iMacs - perhaps they can call the new model "wallflower" instead of "flowerpower". ;)

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by Stella
People took too much importance into Steve's "Year of the Laptop" quote.

For a long time I've thought this. The way I took it was that Laptops would sell in significantly more quantities this year. Hence, the year of the laptop.

I watched that keynote. This is exactly what Steve meant. Steve explained carefully that this is exactly what Steve meant.

Originally posted by Photorun
You people posting with your "hmmm G5 notebooks must be tomorrow" SLAY me! Too darn funny... funny and so incredibly wrong. Sorry jinky try next year.

Why is it wrong? It's rather idiotic to make an argument without bothering to back it.

Originally posted by Photorun
As far as the iMac, seems too little too, uh, little. But hey maybe sources are wrong and they'll stick a G5 in it. [coughs] (those who don't know that was humor, ain't no G5 in the iMac until next year either if ever).

How do you know?

I can't stand when people make obnoxious arguments without backing them. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't waste our time.

Comment

Mineral

macrumors member
May 10, 2003
Arkansas
There's nothing wrong with updating iMacs.. they're great computers and darn sexy if you ask me. I've loved mine.. but now I need a notebook computer.

Anyway.. I just hope the pricepoint of 12" powerbooks drops soon.. and I'm crossing my fingers for upgrades as well.

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
I can't stand when people make obnoxious arguments without backing them. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't waste our time.

Ok, he didn't do it, so i will.

G5's will have to go first in PowerBooks and xServes. No iMacs yet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.