Updated iPad Mini to iOS 8.1.2, rear facing camera no longer works

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by minimo3, Jan 19, 2015.

1. minimo3 macrumors 6502

So I did a clean install of iOS 8.1.2 onto an iPad mini (1st generation). Restored from the ipsw because the normal update hung halfway. Anyway the camera app no longer works. I am unable to take any photos. It just shows a black screen. The front facing camera works intermittently. I have done multiple hard reboots, a soft reboot, logging out of all iCloud/iTunes accounts and back in, Reset All settings, installing 3rd party camera apps, enabling everything in privacy settings. Nothing works. This thing is just 2 years old and its been crippled by software already (camera was working perfectly just before the update). Anyone have other suggestions I can try?

I don't know what I was thinking, I should've stayed with iOS 7.1.2.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hard reboot as in Home+power button? Have you tried doing a complete erase and restore from iTunes?

3. minimo3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup hard reboot as in hold down both power+home until the apple logo appears. I did that about 3x.

When I installed iOS 8.1.2 it was a Shift+Restore+pick .ipsw file to overwrite the entire device. Everything was wiped out, it came out like a factory new device. Took half the day to reinstall everything.

Tried using Camera Awesome. It consistently crashes as soon as I hit the shutter.

4. Rodster, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

Rodster macrumors 68040

You sure you got the right file? I would do a complete erase, connect to iTunes and do a restore. :)

edit: I would let the Apple server select the appropriate FW file for your iPad. No need to hit shift+restore. iTunes will automatically erase everything on your iPad and download the correct OS.

5. minimo3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I plugged the iPad mini into iTunes and hit the Restore button. When it finished installing I told it to Set up as a New iPad so there would be no chance of corruption with backup data. Tapped on Camera and .... completely black screen. If a completely restore to factory and setup as new doesn't work I don't think anything else will. I am bringing it to the store to see what they say, but I'm not hopeful, they'll probably claim its a hardware fault and want $200 for a replacement. No way I'm paying money for something their software update broke.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

my first gen iPad mini is on 8.1.2 and both cameras work. Have you tried a DFU restore?

7. minimo3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried the DFU restore. Just to be doubly sure, I deleted the .ipsw file that iTunes had cached to ensure that iTunes went out to Apple and downloaded the right one. Once it was done I also made sure not to login to any iCloud, iTunes ID, AppleIDs. And no backup was restored. So its as close to a brand new factory model as could be.

Rear camera still shows a black screen.

Oh well, no point replacing this one. Just going to let them run to the ground. Maybe in a year or two we can get light and fully featured 8" Surface Pro Minis.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Could the camera have gone bad?

9. minimo3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its possible, but it would be quite a coincidence to go from working to broken in the span of the hour or so when it was updated.