Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tupelohoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
After updating my iphone 3g software to 4.2 everything off my phone is gone. I followed all the instructions and did a backup but I can't seem to load backup because mobile device helper is not working.... I've tried various solutions including:
Repairing the apple mobile device software;
Uninstalling itunes completely (followed instructions on apple site;
Reinstalling everything;
I've changed the apple mobile device settings to start automatically under the system options in my control panel

I'm really at my wits end and could really use some help. Thanks in advance

tupelohoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Seems simple enough except...

It just syncs with nothing on it. Where are my contacts, apps, pictures, etc.? I don't care so much about the music seeing as my library is full of it, but I would like my contacts back. Like I said before, I keep getting this error message anytime I try to load the backup: mobile device helper has stopped working. :mad::confused:

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
It just syncs with nothing on it. Where are my contacts, apps, pictures, etc.? I don't care so much about the music seeing as my library is full of it, but I would like my contacts back. Like I said before, I keep getting this error message anytime I try to load the backup: mobile device helper has stopped working. :mad::confused:

Well, can you check if applications are set to be synced (by clicking the Apps tab in iTunes in your device's management section).

tupelohoney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
I believe the are although when I go to edit>preferences>devices I get the same error message from the above post. Here are the deets on that:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
Application Version: 17.793.0.136
Application Timestamp: 4cb91bf4
Fault Module Name: CoreFoundation.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.550.36.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cca5e34
Exception Code: c0000094
Exception Offset: 00005dc9
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 662f
Additional Information 2: 4d375dd3d8095d43d9f38487a789097c
Additional Information 3: 1f3d
Additional Information 4: 3c093438e5ebd68342982f98dc9595f1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.