Updated jailbroken unlocked 3GS to iOS5... bricked it?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XIII, Oct 20, 2011.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Hello

My friend bought an iPhone off of eBay 'unlocked', went to update to iOS5 and it ****ed up.. presumably it was jailbroken and unlocked, and the stock iOS5 update has messed it up. We attempted to use the latest redsn0w, and flash the iPad baseband to it, in what is looking like a poor move. It failed half way through, and now the iPhone won't boot.. shows an apple logo as if starting up, then shows the shutting down spinning sign, before freezing on that. All is not well :( Anyone have any ideas, or is this iPhone suffering a premature death?

All help much appreciated!

2. Xb0xGuru macrumors member

Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode and restoring it?

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put it into DFU mode, restore it to 4.1. There is a thread in here talking about it. So, follow that instruction and it will bring back your friend phone.

4. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks very much - will have a search and try and find the thread, and give this a go...

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Follow instruction on this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211718

I just jailbreak & unlocked my friend 3GS with OS5 by downgrading it to 4.1, installed ipad baseband about 30 minutes ago. So, downgrading to 4.1 firmware on 3GS still works.

6. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Perfect. Will give it a try in the morning and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

7. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

8. bornfire29 macrumors newbie

How to get GPS working on iphone 3gs after upgrade to ios 5?

Hello,

I've upgraded my iphone 3gs to ios5 and hence changed my baseband to 5.16.05. Now it is not possible for me to unlock the phone. Is there any way I could get both GPS and phone working?. I've done jailbreak with redsnow. I don't need ios 5 and is willing to downgrade without breaking anything. Is it possible to do it?. Any help would be deeply acknowledged?

Thanks in advance

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can downgrade it to 4.1. However, in order you to unlock your phone, the only way to do is to put the ipad baseband on it and because of the Ipad baseband, your GPS will not work. You can't get it both ways.

10. bornfire29, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

bornfire29 macrumors newbie

Convert to ipad baseband

Thanks for your reply.
    Can you please point out some tutorials for converting to ipad band?. Is it possible to do so without downgrading to 4.1 ?
    It is because it seems to me, that i've seen an option in redsnow to convert to ipad band during the jailbreak process.

Also will there be any tool to unlock 05.16.05 in the near future?. It is because I'm willing to wait for a week or 2.

Thanks in Advance

11. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

No one knows when new unlock tools will become available really, it's all down to the dev team. The thread linked to me earlier in this thread gives you all the steps you need to install iPad baseband (and upgrade to iOS5 if you want). It worked well for me. Tutorials at iclarified really help too.

12. zander271 macrumors member

Did the guy that sold you the phone explain to you to be careful and to not update the phone?

13. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

I don't quite know if this is directed at me, but I'd encourage you to read the post... it wasn't my phone, it was my friends. He isn't as technically literate as some of us on here, yourself I'm sure included, and didn't realise he may need to go through any special steps in order to upgrade the software.

:D Thanks.

14. proteens macrumors newbie

Updated & jailbroken iphone 3gs bb 6.15

I had a 3GS that I updated and jailbroke to the normal 4.0 versions, but I updated it to ios 5 when it came out and it was working fine on bb 6.15... I didn't use it for a few weeks and when I selected Cydia, it wanted me to update..but something went wrong with the update, there were errors and now it's frozen on the loading circle after taking a really long time on the apple logo. I tried to reset it and everything but it won't even go into DFU mode properly since I can't turn it off by sliding.. any suggestions would help !

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Can you do a hard reboot? press & hold power and home buttons at the same time until the screen go black, then release both buttons and turn the phone on normally.

16. proteens macrumors newbie

I can do the hard reboot and it starts to load, but it stays on the apple logo for an abnormal amount of time then the loading circle either makes its way around once and freezes, or it just freezes right after the apple logo :S I'm not sure where to go from here

17. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Follow the link I have on post #5 above.

18. proteens, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

proteens macrumors newbie

Oh I actually tried that before to see if it would work, but instead of getting the same error message (1015) I got error 20, which has something to do with the security I think... so I wasn't sure what to do afterwards since the screen doesn't respond to touch anymore... could it have anything to do with me using a mac instead of windows mode?