Updated MacBooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwskemer, Feb 22, 2008.

1. rwskemer macrumors regular

I, like everybody else is waiting for the MacBook Pro updates, whatever they may be. Would the MacBook be updated in the new few weeks as well? Would thee penryn's get into the MacBooks or will they be purposely keep using the Memrons to differentiate the MBs from the MBPs? Will the new trackpad be added to the MBs?

I know this is only speculation, but I only ask because I want to make the switch and now more than ever. I think I will wait for the MBP to be overhauled come the Fall, or whenever that may be. I would go for a MB in the interirm, to get my feet wet in the world of Mac and actually have a fully operational computer for a change (cough cough, take that Dell).

Any ides or speculation would be great.

I did search on the MBs here and other other forums, it just seems we're all MBP obsessed here!

Thanks in advance!

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I'd say don't hold your breath for now.

Given that the MBP updates haven't come out yet, MB updates are most likely a good few months off.

3. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

I may place my order today then! I can't wait to be an official Mac user!

4. priller macrumors regular

I got bored of waiting, picked up my macbook today.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

good idea...you will be waiting for a long time if you want to wait for a macbook update, get your MB now and enjoy it without any regrets!

7. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

buy a refurbished macpro, it will probably be just as good if not better than the next macbook update

8. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

Should I go to my local Apple store or purchase online? I am a teacher so I would like to use that discount for the Macbook and a few accessories. I'm sure they must honor those discounts in the stores as well...

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Somebody wrote on the forums today that they did the same with meroms...first updated an mbpro line and then several months later updated macbooks. So its safe to assume that an mb update isnt coming for some time now.

10. tbear1 macrumors regular

Last year about this same time, everyone was saying how great the 'santa rosa' update was going to be. The MBP was updated first. I waited until summer and it turned out the next MB update was only a specification change (bigger HD, faster cpu). I bought at that update. It turned out the SR update happened in November (I think). I am glad that I did not wait for that update. My MB works fine and I don't feel 'cheated' by not having the updated GPU from the SR changes.
    The way I see it, I will be able to justify a new MB ~6 months earlier than if I waited. In the meantime, I don't have a reason to update. The computer works fine for my use. I did add more RAM recently, but even that (1-2gigs) wasn't a significant improvement. One gig works fine for leopard if you are just doing email, safari, and iwork stuff.

Good Luck with your decision.

In the meantime, I am waiting for the 'When will we get capella in the MB?' posts. :p

Glenn

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

most likely apple will put penryn chips in the entire line of computers, considering that intel is PHASING OUT the 65nm chips, something which nobody here has mentioned. So if you can wait, i'm not sure why more performance + more battery life isn't worth waiting a few weeks for.

But if you can't wait, go for it you'll still like it and you may never be able to tell the difference :)

12. GAS macrumors regular

Because, it's been "a few weeks" for months now.

Exactly. I doubt most people will notice the speed difference.

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

unless your job is to measure the speed of the current from the former processor.. and you're being paid big bucks to do it.. which is like... 1-5% of the people in this forum!
    :D:D:D

14. GAS macrumors regular

Of course. I forgot that job :p

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Uh. no. Penryn chips haven't been out "for months." Intel delayed them and now they're only starting to become available.

But I would agree that the "average" user may never know the difference. But if you're in no rush, the worst time to buy a mac (just like an iPod) is right before the update.

16. GAS macrumors regular

I was referring to the new MBP rumours as a whole.

17. rwskemer thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm officially a Mac user now, picked up the 2.2 ghz Macbook with 1GB of RAM. I already upgraded it to 4GB. I added the apple care and .MAC (as a teacher I was given some sort of deal for both, although I don't really think I'll ever use the .MAC too much, but who knows, I'm still learning obviously). I also picked up a few accessories. I'm excited to finally join the family! This should be a more than adequate way to "get my feet wet" with the Mac until the new MBPs come out, whenever that may be.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me out and answer my questions. I'm excited to finally join the family! Time to change my signature!

18. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Apple has been very very consistent with their MB updates (May, Nov, May, Nov). I think it's a safe guess it will be this spring or summer. :p