updated mp3 tags outside of iTunes, how do I update iTunes with new info?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tronic, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

So like many people I have (had) a very unorganized iTunes folder. I decided it was time to basically put all my files in the same format and add a bunch of the missing information to the files, most notably the artist name. I have always saved my files in the following format: Artist name - song name .mp3. then I would just add the files into itunes and of course it would not add any info into the artist field for those songs. Through windows explorer, I added artist names to all of my files and changed some of the file names but how do I go about updating iTunes to reflect these changes?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I remember doing this when I first started using iTunes. Don't do it. Let iTunes manage your music and check the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized." That way if you want to change information in iTunes about your songs in the future such as track title, it'll do it automatically to what you're doing and you won't have to worry whether you updated it in iTunes or not. Yes, it will change the format of your music to something like 1 Random Song Title.mp3, 2 Another Random Song Title.mp3 but the fact is it's easier to just change the metadata of your files in iTunes than be digging around in the actual files.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not necessary for iTunes to keep the folder organized, especially if you have a large collection. I have my files organized by Genre > Artist > Album and my file names and the tag data relate well. Artist TrackNo SongName.

5. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

I do let iTunes manage my music but I had to create a new library a few month back and when I re-imported all of the songs they came back in without any of the changes I had made in iTunes previously. So just in case I ever have to do that again, I have the files all set up correctly outside of iTunes now.

Anyway, what is the best way to add music to iTunes? If I add music to "My Music" in windows and then start up iTunes, my music is never automatically imported. So I have to go in and add the files manually. Is this the only way to add files or am I missing something?