[UPDATED] My Apple remote concept!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by RCS31, Apr 19, 2014.

1. RCS31, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

RCS31 macrumors regular

2. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Description makes it look like a Magic Trackpad, only much narrower. Also, I am against using the power button for more than one or two common functions, plus a special function to be used for debugging. Especially as the power button on a Bluetooth device is already used both to power a device and make it visible.

Sure the button-less design is neat, but don't you think you should at least provide a visual cue where the active surface is? Apple has already tried one button-less design, and it failed.

3. Unami macrumors 6502a

- i'd change the form factor - the apple remote does not sit good in the hand, because of it's sharp edges. also, the metal always feels cold.

- i like the touch-navigation - but i'm not sure if a device with much more height than width should provide touch-pad-navigation for a device with more width than height.

- i'm also skeptical about the the button - it seems ergonomically placed...but to small to be pressed comfortably - also it doesn't look too good to me from a aesthetical perspective - maybe change the color or make a depression for the button to lie in.

- change the font

still, i'd very much prefer your design to the current one with it's wobbly buttons. and everything is better with bluetooth :)

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I applaud your efforts and thoughtfulness on design.

For me, I am I guess more old school in that I like having some buttons for specific tasks and found the original Apple remote a bit lacking. There always seems to be a modern take on design that is form over function.

Though we may differ on what makes a remote good, please continue what you are doing and know that some of us from a different school of thought appreciate youth that seize the opportunity to be creative.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Think this is a key point, and it's going to be hard to accurately navigate a big, wide UI with such a narrow 'trackpad'. If the tracking speed is high, it's hard to be accurate; if it's low it takes a lot of swipes to get across the screen. Adjusting based on how fast the user flicks their finger (as posted) may work but it's only a small distance to flick across to determine the speed, that might be hard to do accurately.

I like the simplicity of it - but it might suffer from the same challenges as all gesture-based UIs: there's no obvious hint on what gestures work where (unlike physical buttons or WIMP based GUIs) so it requires a bit of trial and error.

6. RCS31 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I really admire your kindness, you don't see that often on the Internet :)

Now talking about my design, and I basically got a confirmation on my doubts with the design, I have actually thought of all of the flaws, so I appreciate your opinions which I strongly agree with!

My plan is to make a better design taking all of those pointers into consideration, a wider, warmer, more user friendly and more comfortable remote, I've already got some plans. I'll post the result soon.

Cheers!