Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GorgeousGeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Hobart
Finally updated my old spaceship....ordered my new 27" last night.
She has served me well for over ten years. Been faultless, people wonder why you pay so much for apple computers, but how many people can say their computer lasts for 10 years without fault......I'm hoping the new piece of kit will be just as reliable and it will also be the best computer investment I've made.

Anyone else still have an old CRT eMac?.
Wondering if I'm the only crazy one here

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Don't worry- I still have a CRT iMac, and that's way older than yours! Be sure to get the eMac a good home. I like to see the old machines still chugging along, which is why I'm using a G3 iBook to type this! By the way, there's a PowerPC Mac forum, and you might find some useful stuff there if you haven't already.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I used to have a Bondi Blue iMac I was saving for my toddler son, however, he has jumped all over the iPad -- as I should have foreseen -- thus rendering the G3 useless (really). Sold it for $25.

nedlah

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011

Yep - I'm on it right now - like you I've had so long I cant recall the year I got it...mines been faultless as well. I've got to get a new one soon but it sure is hard saying goodbye...

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Honestly, I don't think newer Apple products are built to last anymore.

Well, I'm still on an iPhone 3GS. But that's mainly because it's still supported.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Well, I'm still on an iPhone 3GS. But that's mainly because it's still supported.

Macs: Yes
iOS devices: No

The software just outpaces the hardware in the iPhone too fast and that causes them to become so sluggish after a couple years.

I think Macs are built to last and because of the hardware inside of them, they are very future proof.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Sometimes it doesn't seem like it's the products fault, but Apple's fault for forcing your hand. There are plenty of PowerPC machines that could still be chugging along, but 3 years after the switch to Intel, a Quad Core G5 was not supported by Apple. Of course, this didn't stop me and the iBook I'm typing on right now.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
I have just ordered a 27" iMac with the i7 and 680MX.

This will be a "reasonably large" improvement over the eMac we have downstairs (the only desktop in the house) which is still used and works just as well as it did years ago, which is very well! Which has a PowerPC G4 1GHz, 640mb RAM (upgraded from 128mb) and a 40GB HDD. Must be like 8 years old now lol.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow. I thought I'd kept my eMac for a long time when I upgraded to this iMac 5 years ago... I'd been using the eMac for... 7 years? Something like that... it just became too slow for me to keep doing app development on... I'm starting to get the sense my current iMac needs to be updated, but my fiscal situation means that won't be happening for another year or two...

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Finally updated my old spaceship....ordered my new 27" last night.
She has served me well for over ten years. Been faultless, people wonder why you pay so much for apple computers, but how many people can say their computer lasts for 10 years without fault......I'm hoping the new piece of kit will be just as reliable and it will also be the best computer investment I've made.

No you're not crazy at all.

I'm on my daughters eMac right now!
My daughter is 8yrs old and uses it for school stuff, barbie website etc...she loves it.
I think I got it for $50 on eBay (from a Uni student).

...actually I can hear my daughter now..."what's that? ..."Dad get off my computer!!..."

....gosh it's going to be a long 3-4 week wait for my new iMac.:)

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Geez, everyone's replacing their eMac. They still excel at some tasks- make a very good jukebox, pretty good for web browsing with TenFourFox (a browser for Tiger with processor-optimized builds), youtube (with Mactubes set to play in Quicktime). Plenty of life left in them; keep 'em around!

GorgeousGeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Hobart
Well seems there are a few crazies out there:rolleyes:
I've loved my emac, I thought it was the bees knees for so long, last couple of years has been a bit annoying with it not accepting some of the new updates.
I don't think I'll get rid of it....once I've transferred all my stuff over to the new machine I think I'll give it a clean up and just use it for a second computer for whatever music or the kids.

Performance wise it's going to be a huge leap for me.....I'm really looking forward to it, it's going to be a shock to the system......I reckon my iPad will get neglected:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.