Updated my iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. Rhobes macrumors 6502


    Oct 28, 2004
    Bigfork, MT

    I recently updated the CPU on my iMac to 1.35GHz(from 800MHz), costs about $500.00 from http://daystartechnology.com . I also just upgraded my internet connect to DSL at 7MBPS with 896KPBS upload speed for $39.00/mo 1st year, then up to $45.00 therafter with an option to buy the modem for $60.00 after the 1st free year(otherwise $5/mo for the modem after year 1). DSL from Qwest.

    The DSL has been a painfully long wait here in a remote part of Western Montana, not so remote anymore. I now have the fastest system I've ever seen and the iMac is upgraded to the max & working great-love it.

    I did the CPU upgrade because I wanted to wait for the new Mac intel coming out in the PowerMac. I was lead to believe from this forum that the new intel in PowerMacs would not be available for 2 years, and this is where I want to go. I'm a little surprised they are available in the iMacs already.

    I hope the new intels don't come out early in PowerMacs so I can justify what I did to this computer for a couple years. :eek: What do you think?? :rolleyes:
  2. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

    Nov 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Just tell yourself it's okay. You've got all the computer you need for whatever you want to do. Who can keep up, and why? Upgrade to Tiger 10.4.4. Then kick back.
  3. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    Well Steve said by the end of the year for all Macs would be Intel ;)
  4. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

    Nov 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Except the ones Rhobes and I own. Unless money isn't a factor, why buy now? My PB G4 still does everything I need it to do. The other upside to waiting is the Intel boxes will either be cheaper, faster, or both.
  5. VanNess macrumors 6502a


    Mar 31, 2005
    More importantly, he also said the transition would last for years, hence the appearance of Rosetta (solid as a rock, lol) on iNtel Macs and the establishment of universal binaries as the new recipe for all future application development going forward. PPC-based Macs aren't just going to fall off a cliff at the end of the year.

    And since all apps now have the universal binary mandate, owners of existing PPC-based Macs will still continue to see future development of their favorite apps. For example, when Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe, personally sits down and single-handedly codes the latest, greatest versions of Adobe's Mac apps such as Photoshop into universal binaries (when he has the time of course, it's not trivial, lol), they will also run on both iNtel and PPC. So, assuming the topic poster's machine meets the PPC requirements for Photoshop CSv15.1.0.3, then he's good to go. At least he won't need an iNtel Mac, unless he lives, eats, and breathes Photoshop everyday and the performance difference on iNtel Macs is just too great to ignore. Then that concept of "transition" Jobs repeatedly referred to starts to take hold.

    I agree with the general consensus that he should evaluate what his usage and requirements are for software and hardware before blindly jumping into an iNtel Mac, the same way the decision is normally made when contemplating the purchase of any new computer, regardless of whether it's iNtel. If the machine you have now works just great for all of your needs and purposes, then it's probably not the time to worry about an upgrade. On the other hand, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, and you want to have bragging rights for the biggest, baddest, kick-booty machine on your block, then I think Steve Jobs has got a deal for you.

Share This Page