Updated Netflix app...are there any changes?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Jun 23, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

I noticed today that the netflix app has a facelift. It looks like the one for all my other iOS devices. haven't had time to check it out as yet. Are there any changes, like post play?

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

3. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

for me personally, i have noticed a performance improvement, from playback and buffering, the audio and picture just seems to be a tad better but the buffering times have been seriously decreased, thats just me, heck it might be a placebo effect where i think things have been improved

4. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

Opposite for me. Up until a month or two ago, ATV used a different content delivery network than any of my other devices. So every time I started a stream, it would buffer for a few seconds and initiate the stream at 5,800 kbps/1080p and stay there. My other devices used the adaptive streaming and would often get stuck at or below 480p during prime time hours. Lately, Apple TV does the same thing.

So it doesn't surprise me that people are seeing reduced buffering. Since it is now adaptive, it can start the stream quickly but the quality is VCR level at first. I'm on Verizon FiOS, so I've been waiting (im)patiently for the direct peering to start since the two companies signed the agreement.

5. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

That's honestly strange! I have fios too, I have around 80+ Mbps Internet and I almost never have buffering problems especially in prime time hours, every is always played in 1080p and I have my ATV hardwired to my AirPort Extreme, I had it hardwired to the fios router and constantly it would just keep buffering and buffering, the playback was terrible but when I had it hardwired to the AirPort Extreme and it never buffers or delays anymore