Updated OSX install DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hailst0rm, Feb 7, 2009.

1. hailst0rm macrumors member

I purchased a new Macbook last month and it shipped with Mac OSX 10.5.5. Is there any way I could get an updated copy with 10.5.6?

I can't restore from my Time Machine until I've fully installed OSX and updated to 10.5.6.

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Not without buying a retail copy. Apple isn't going to give you an updated copy because (A) there's nothing wrong with the disc you have and (B) you can get your software to 10.5.6 by going into software update and updating it that way.

Just go into software update on your computer and download all the updates including 10.5.6.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I'm a bit confused as to what you want here. Do you mean install disks that are 10.5.6? Because if that's what you want, why not just install 10.5.5 and update it to 10.5.6, then restore from Time Machine? Or am I missing something here...

4. hailst0rm thread starter macrumors member

I'm just lazy. If you pop in the install DVD you have the option to do a complete restore from a Time Machine backup without needing to install OSX first. Just saves time really. No need to install any updates either as the Time Machine backup will already be up to date.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

When you do a full restore, you get whatever OS is in the Time Machine. That means an OS 10.5.0 DVD can restore 10.5.6. It does not use the OS on DVD.

6. hailst0rm thread starter macrumors member

*sigh* Yes I know that. When you boot off the install DVD it will be running whatever version happens to be on that DVD. I can't do a full restore because it stalls when checking the time machine backup. Whatever the bug was it has been fixed in 10.5.6.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

The Mac Box Set includes 10.5.6, and I'm sure a stand-alone retail 10.5.6 will be available soon.

If the 10.5.5 disc that you received can't restore a system, try calling Apple and see if they are aware of that. They will very likely have a new 10.5.6 disc set for your system if the 10.5.5 discs are all buggy, or might just give you a 10.5.6 retail for free.