Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gino9474

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I foolishly updated my osx to the newest version...and I don't even remember what osx version it was on, but it now is really messed up. When I start it up it goes to the osx blue screen and with the bar doing nothing. Arrow cursor moves around, but nothing happens, and I left it on for over 45 minutes.
then I tried to "safe boot", by holding down the shift key when the grey apple comes up, but it ended up just shutting down the power of the computer!
I don't know how to open the disc tray. The key board doesn't do it. I don't want to loose the info on the discs.
I use a firewire to my power book and got the discs from the G4 onto the desktop of the powerbook, but when I try to access them or perform a disc utility on them, I just get the spinning rainbow wheel of death!
please help!
thank you

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
What kind of G4 Tower are we talking about? The latest Mac OSX version 10.5 won't run (without some tricks) on anything below 867 mhz G4 (or was it 800 mhz? I'm not sure right now). Might the problems be coming from this?

I'm afraid that if target disk mode (the fire wire thing) doesn't work I don't have an idea how to rescue your data.

ALWAYS make a backup BEFORE you update the os, but it's too late for that one now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.