Updated products released..???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, May 24, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Has any apple product update ever been announced and not made available the same day?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes. This happens rather frequently.

Take the iPhone for instance...six months from announcement to release. Happens with Macs, too...waits of up to ~two months after announcement before they start shipping.

Edit: Here are some examples...

3. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting... just from the past couple years it always seemed the announce then ship a few weeks later always happened with new products.. and it seemed updates got released pretty much as soon as they were announced... hope that happens with the iphone... i have a couple trips planned for mid june.. so it would be quite nice to have the new iphone as my travel companion... just crossing my fingers waiting for june 9th!

4. neven macrumors 6502a

AppleTV was also pre-announced, as was the MacBook Air (available two weeks after announcement).

I sincerely hope the new iPhone ISN'T available on June 9th; I'll be at WWDC, and if I have to run out and check it out, I'll miss a bunch of sessions and events. The top members of the Mac community will all be crammed into a convention center - do you think they'd spend the days reviewing and taking apart the new iPhone, or attending WWDC? Apple has already had problems releasing products immediately before a crowd of that sort, and this year's attendance numbers look insane.

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

ATV was not a hardware update and MBA was a new product. Although, Since Apple has already stopped selling iPhone for the most part online, they may do a delayed release as it is basically a new product now (no impact to existing sales).

6. neven macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't read carefully and I assumed you meant any products, not just updates to existing ones.

Even so, I doubt that lack of precedent would stop Apple from pre-announcing it. Shipping it on June 9 makes little sense in many ways.

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411