Updated Safari and SL, now no Flash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cursor, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Good morning, I recently updated my software via Software Update yesterday, and I noticed that I can no longer play Flash videos in Safari. I just get the generic lego block and it says that Flash unexpectedly quit. I'm running the most recent Safai and Snow Leopard, and have included a screenshot of the updates that I ran yesterday. I also tried to run Camino and FireFox, but they just quit when I get to a Flash video. I also tried to install the most recent Flash player, and also the newer beta Flash player, but none seem to work. Anybody know of any fixes? Do I have to reinstall Snow Leopard? Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks.

PS. I tried doing some searches, but couldn't find anything that helped me.

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like your Flash install is corrupted somehow. This doesn't require a reinstall of Flash OR Snow Leopard to fix, fortunately. The first thing you should try is navigating to your user folder, then Library, then Caches, then Adobe. In here is a folder called Flash Player. Delete this (while no browsers are running) then try again.

If you're curious, what you just did is nuke Flash Player's cache. A corrupt cache is one possible cause of Flash errors like the one you're experiencing.

3. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

I just tried getting rid of the cache and it still doesn't work. I'm running the latest beta version of Flash, should I try to go back to the last stable version? I'm so lost on this problem.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd definitely reinstall Flash at this point, yes. Whether you install the stable or beta version is up to you.

5. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Alright. I reinstalled and put in the latest stable version, but I am still having problems! Any other ideas? This is really baffling me.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Just did some searching, and found one other Flash-related folder, buried deep within Preferences. It's inside the Macromedia folder, and is called Flash Player. Move this entire folder to your desktop (after quitting your browsers). Does Flash behave now? If it does, you can delete the folder you moved. If not, move it back.

7. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Just tried that and still not working. While I was in there, I also deleted the safari preferences, but still no luck. Do you think reinstalling the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 update again would do anything? I'm stuck between thinking it's the Safari update or SL update. Everything was working fine before the updates.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Strange. It works fine for me. I'm not sure what to suggest.

9. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

The weird thing is, and I'm just noticing this now, is that it only appears to be affecting videos. I can view some promos and images that use Flash, but I can't view any youtube videos or msnbc videos. I wonder why that is? Anybody else have any suggestions?

I guess I'll just have to re-intall Snow Leopard and see if that does the trick.