Updated Screenshots Show AirTags Setup Process and New Find My Layout

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
It would be cool if AirTagging was simply pointing your iPhone at an object and it’s now being tracked. Almost like embedding a virtual chip into an object that’s trackable.

Probably this tech is still 100 years away.

iGeneo

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I wonder if these things every get slipped into a spouse or partners luggage when they take a trip by themselves.
Nothing stopping that from happening in the last couple years with the Tile product

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
How about people that are not members of your family but you want to track? You just need to hide one in the car, or some bag etc.
This was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I heard about the devices. I am not sure what Apple can do to prevent abuse. It might be possible if someone finds one of these in their car or backpack that doesn't belong to them, that it might be possible to trace it back to the phone / Apple ID that it is registered to. That would certainly discourage (but not completely prevent) abuse. Another possibility is that the device may make an audible sound if someone activates it so they can locate it and that would give away the fact the AirTag has been slipped into somewhere it doesn't belong.

Reactions: mxmgodin

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
2020 year in tech will be AirTag, AirTag Pro, Samsung Stag, Google gTag, and the Chinese knock off aTags ...

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yawn, same old criticism yet their share price keeps going up.
I am not an Apple shareholder. This will sell for sure. But I am yet to see why this one is different from the other similar products in the market. If I were a shareholder thinking long term, I could be worried that Apple is diluting the brand. And Apple's shares, despite going up, suffered a hiccup at the end of last year/beginning of this year. The shares of Apple's main competitors (Microsoft, Google and Amazon) are growing faster and more steadily in the last two years.

maxfromdenmark

macrumors regular
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
I’m really thinking if Apple will implement it into their stuff. It could even already built into the new AirPods Pro and just need to be unlocked with newer software.

incoherent_1

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
Would LOVE to place one on the back on my AirPods. My first pair from 2016 were lost on my way to the car wash. Never seen them since.

Though I’m more careful now, I’d still like to get one for a peace of mind.
I don’t own AirPods but I thought there was a “Find my AirPods” feature? Or maybe I’m misremembering.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I was wondering how the hell this worked, but then i saw these little "accessories" you buy to attach to the devices your going to be loosing..

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Suppose these will need to charge up via a Qi pad? Otherwise, they will be battery sucking monsters.
Having looked into beacons and power usage for a "dead" iPhone still outputting a beacon, I then moved onto looking at the coin cell beacons and the battery life.

From a previous post I made I found "Coin cell BT beacons refreshing at 100ms give 1-3 months battery life on a coin battery. They use say 100µA per refresh, and if the refresh rate was changed to something like every 1sec when the device was "dead" (250mAh), it would allow the phone to give accurate signals for around 10 months."

There isn't really any need for a beacon to be refreshing 10x per second, 1 second or even 10 seconds is more than enough. A 5 second refresh rate for something like a bike or bag would give round about 4 years of battery life, more than enough to fit and forget.

Wanted797

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
RIP Tile. If these work as expected (using any nearby iPhone) then their coverage will be almost laughable by comparison. Here's hoping the Apple pricing team can keep it in their pants.

I should really eBay my unopened pack of Tiles. 🤔
Maybe time to short sell some Tile stocks?

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
I don’t own AirPods but I thought there was a “Find my AirPods” feature? Or maybe I’m misremembering.
It works, well for the first generation I’m assuming, if you had opened the case or used the AirPods within the last 24 hours. The last known location is recorded.
In my case, I did not use my AirPods the day that I lost them so the Find My feature was useless in that case.

Reactions: incoherent_1

incoherent_1

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2016
It works, well for the first generation I’m assuming, if you had opened the case or used the AirPods within the last 24 hours. The last known location is recorded.
In my case, I did not use my AirPods the day that I lost them so the Find My feature was useless in that case.
Fascinating! I never knew that’s how it worked. So sorry you lost your AirPods though — that sucks.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Fascinating! I never knew that’s how it worked. So sorry you lost your AirPods though — that sucks.
Thanks. It took another 4 months for the replacement to arrive lol. This was back when AirPods were in high demand. Now I’m more careful about them, but the AirTags or whatever they will be called should give me a peace of mind.

jsalda

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Hopefully I can use this to track my cheating horse of a wife.
This is the best comment on the net
- - Post merged: - -

I will be purchasing these day 1. Just had my car windows smashed and +$4000 worth of stuff taken. Insurance will cover replacements and damage, but I'd love to be able to track the stuff and have the police knock on the door of the thieves.